worktop jig for drainer grooves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i am having a worktop fitted very soon and i am going to have a belfast sink put in.
i am going to have wooden worktops put in and would like drainer grooves routed into the worktop.
i need to get hold of a jig for this.
does any one know the cheapest place to buy one or even better can they be hired any where if so please let me know .
thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
But in the old days, surely they would have used some kind of plane? A funny blade in a combination plane, or a Witches Tooth?

Or maybe a spindle cutter?

Router's weren't around when wooden drainers were popular.

JohnD said:
They would probably have used a rounding plane, 1/8in or 3/16in, running against a straight batten because a traditional hand router won't run too well against a fence:

0084.jpg

Above: Hollow and round pair planes

although you might be surprised to learn that a machine called a recessor

IMG_0955.jpg

Above: This 1960s Wadkin recessor was built to what was fundamentally a 1920s design

which could spin a router-like cutter at 6,000 rpm and had a table with compound (X-Y axis) norion rather like a milling machine came into widespread service before WWI and would have been used to do the job - especially as draining boards were'nit normally that long back then.

The first electric router, the Kelley, was introduced in the USA between 1902 and 1905, whilst the first truly successful electric router, the Carter, also appeared before WWI, admittedly in the USA, although electric routers were offered in the UK from the 1930s onwards (possibly earlier)

Scrit

Sponsored Links
you've been looking at the back of your shed, haven't you!

trend make a jig which you should be able to pick up cheaper than the one in the link above
i would suggest you check the manufacturers first though as many do not reccommend cutting grooves inwooden worktops and it may invalidate any warrenty

I still use the hand plane method. I own a Wadkin LQ recessor like the one in the picture but wouldn't bother with it for this unless I was doing a large number of drainers..

JohnD said:
They would probably have used a rounding plane, 1/8in or 3/16in, running against a straight batten because a traditional hand router won't run too well against a fence:

0084.jpg

Above: Hollow and round pair planes

although you might be surprised to learn that a machine called a recessor

IMG_0955.jpg

Above: This 1960s Wadkin recessor was built to what was fundamentally a 1920s design

which could spin a router-like cutter at 6,000 rpm and had a table with compound (X-Y axis) norion rather like a milling machine came into widespread service before WWI and would have been used to do the job - especially as draining boards were'nit normally that long back then.

The first electric router, the Kelley, was introduced in the USA between 1902 and 1905, whilst the first truly successful electric router, the Carter, also appeared before WWI, admittedly in the USA, although electric routers were offered in the UK from the 1930s onwards (possibly earlier)

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back