Worth getting boiler with sererate HW temps control?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to decide what boiler to get, the only one I've seen with a seperate HW control is the Bosch XXsi.

Would this be as useful as I would think, set the water to a good temp for washing your hands and washing up for no more scalded hands?

Any other thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
Your existing system will have some sort of temperature control. It could be faulty!
Most combi boilers have a temperature control or are set to give out water at a safe temperature.
If you could tell us more about your existing system then we may be able to help you more.
Make and model of boiler or combi boiler? Do you have a hot water storage cylinder or tank? Do you have an immersion heater in your hot water storage tank?
If you are getting scalded then a faulty thermostat in your immersion heater is often the cause.

WB i,si and especially the junior series are decidedly less than the CDI.

Bengasman - decidedly less what?

Slugbaby - I'm looking to replace my 20 year old CW/HW system with a combi boiler.

I'm just trying to sum up the pro's and con's of the different models. I noticed the Bosch SI has seperate water temperature control for the HW and CH (one temperature for each) and wondered how much benefit that would be in reality and if any other boiler in my list (less than £900 24kwish combi's) had this feature (I haven't found any so far).

Also would it be more efficient/save gas to have this feature?

Sponsored Links
Less good. I've installed plenty cdi's but would not do an si, certainly not an i, and the juniors are junk.
Separate controls are much better, end of. I am changing to Viessmann for the few installs that I do these days, as it is a very well engineered product, 5 year full warrantee and a better price .

OK, different boiler, but I have a couple of observations about my Baxi Duotec HE 24, which has separate controls for CH and HW:
  • turning HW down to 45°C also reduces boiler power
    turning HW up to 60°C gets boiler working harder (quicker for filling bath)
    CH running at 80°C made HW initially scalding until boiler cooled down
Next time, I think I'll fit a separate HW thermostatic mixer to regulate output to 45°C and set boiler HW to max (65°C). That would also remove the issue of separate controls for CH and HW.

ajrob,

Sounds like the baxi doesn't really have seperate temperetaure control then (even though it may have 2 dials...)

I wonder if the Bosch si boiler is as bad as this? (or others)

Sounds like the baxi doesn't really have seperate temperetaure control then (even though it may have 2 dials...)
Oh, it delivers separate temperatures to CH and HW alright, but the transition from CH to HW can catch you out. Give it a minute and the HW will stabilise on the selected temperature. I just rather it did it more quickly by mixing down hot with cold. I think it has a HW flow limiter (11 l/min), so lower HW temperature means lower power. I just want to arm you with my observations to help you read between the lines when choosing your boiler.

Separate HW temperature limiters are cheap (compared to range of boiler prices) and fairly standard where they care for the very old and the very young.

Now, the instruction manual recommends that showers have thermostatic mixers. I'd watch out for that with whatever boiler you settle on. It might indicate that transients can catch the boiler out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back