Would any plumbers out there mind taking a look at my taps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You get what you pay for.I'll give em 6-12 months,and that generous.Get them from B&Q and that way you just take em back.

Very similar on my suite from B&Q. I'd look at B&Q, Screwfix etc first. Swirl range should be ok, as said if they pack up or break you can take them back!

Sponsored Links
Ah - so . You mlean Blistran 1401 ( Ming Dynasy) range . :mrgreen:

Its a long way to take the taps back to China.

At least with Bristan they are good quality and they have a helpline number and you can even knock on their door without flying.

Tony

Bristan are Ok, perhaps not as good as they used to be, but they are good enough.
Look at Iflo too.

B&Q and screwfix and one and the same taps, Swirl is basically china import taps, there is no such brand as swirl as they are own brand rubbish.

I would agree with Chris Bristan aint what they used to be but at least they do have good customer service and you can always get the parts.

Iflo I think they are bristan as well, branded for travis etc?

http://bristan.tapstore.com/bathroom-taps/bristan-bathroom-taps/1901-taps.html

I've seen some taps I like from a company called Ultra:

http://www.ultra-group.co.uk/producttypes.asp?brand=Home of Ultra

From what I can tell they seem a very professional company. British made. 10 year guarantee. And apparently even the budget models I'm looking at have BS5412, EN200 and/or WRAS Standards - not that I know what that means but it sounds good!!!

They are the same price as the Swirl and YK ones I was planning on getting....

Thanks everyone for all the help and replies.

Max

(PS - if anyone wishes to comment on my new find please feel free!)

I've come across Ultra before, but never fitted them, as you say they're UK-based and have long warranties so they should be good BUT check what the warranty covers - does it include ceramic discs if it's that kind of tap, or is it just a warranty on the body, which would be next to useless as that shouldn't break anyway.

Another one to look at is the St James Collection by Marflow http://www.stjamescollection.com/shop.sfxp

Just spoke to Customer Support at Ultra RE: 10 Year Guarantee and they said it covers manufacturing defects not parts. And - for example - if the tap malfunctioned on account of limescale build up, they would not be covered.

Looking at the literature, it says:

"During installation extra care must be taken to avoid damaging
the fittings. We provide a 10 year guarantee against faulty
workmanship or materials (excluding serviceable parts),
providing they have been installed, cared for and used in
accordance with our instructions."

Don't know how all that compares with Bristan and similar makes...?

That guarantee is fairly standard, serviceable parts would not be covered as they are expected to wear, however most manufacturers are sympathetic if something goes wrong within what might be considered an unreasonable time, standard taps don't have a lot to go wrong anyway

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back