Would you add an earth connection to this heating element?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My oven decided to give up and the fan oven heating element has failed (IR: 0.16-0.29MΩ @250v).

While taking it apart to test I notice this element had an earth terminal but no earth connection, I decided to test the grill element while I was at it (all ok) but noticed this element is earthed. I assumed the earth tag might of fallen off and was in the back, but no sign of this element ever being earthed (apart from being connected to the chassis)

Do you think it would be wise while I'm replacing the element to put on an spade to earth, I cant see why it would cause any issues or be designed not to have an earth. I assume it was either missed in production or the factory just cut some corners.

Attachments

• IMAG3562.jpg
    IMAG3562.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 312
  • IMAG3568.jpg
    IMAG3568.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 475
  • IMAG3571.jpg
    IMAG3571.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 322
  • IMAG3564.jpg
    IMAG3564.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 329
  • IMAG3563.jpg
    IMAG3563.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 318
Sponsored Links
Yeah, I would much rather it be earthed directly to the element rather than relying on the screws making some attempt of earth. But thought I would double check just in case there could be a remote chance of this not being earth for good reason (apart from cost/time cutting).

Yeah, I would much rather it be earthed directly to the element rather than relying on the screws making some attempt of earth. But thought I would double check just in case there could be a remote chance of this not being earth for good reason (apart from cost/time cutting).
If there were any potential problem (goodness only knows what!!) with it being earthed then, as you imply, there would already be a danger, since it's going to be earthed via the plate and fixing screws, anyway - so to add the 'proper earth' (which undoubtedly should be there) can't possibly do any harm.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I worked repairing appliances for a few years, it is very common for cooker elements to have no wired connection to the earth terminal.

I worked repairing appliances for a few years, it is very common for cooker elements to have no wired connection to the earth terminal.
Yes, even I have often see that - but in the OP's case, it seems a bit odd that there is a wired to to some, but not all, of the elements.

Kind Regards, John

Perhaps wired to the exposed to touch ones, but not the ones behind covers?

yeah that's what I originally thought, but just still seems like they could of just gone that little bit extra to add one more earth connection. Anyway hopefully I'll be able to pickup a suitable element for a fair price so save me getting a new oven and I'll sort out that earth connection to it.

Thanks for all the feedback.

yeah that's what I originally thought, but just still seems like they could of just gone that little bit extra to add one more earth connection.
Personally speaking, I agree ("if it's worth earthing, it's worth earthing properly" :) ).

Kind Regards, John

no matter what anyone says, all elements should be earthed properly by its own terminal, cannot rely on screws fixing element into the chassis of the oven, can give high resistance joint.

Yeah definitely agree with that, I did a few resistance tests with varying results. Doesn't help when the oven is coated with enamel (or whatever is it) so the screws have very little bare metal to make contact with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back