Would you consider this price as expensive for a house ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I was browsing on houses for sale in France and I fell on this ad for a house for sale in france costing 251000 euros http://www.europegiant.com/free-classified-ads/1406/côtes-d--039--armor-100-year-old-/
is that worth the price ? What do you guys think ? I do like its appearance ... I would have expected it to be much lower in price .. I didn't know real estate was that expensive in France . I don't know what to think as far as the price goes .

Sponsored Links
The house has history and has been built to have a much longer history to come, there are much cheaper houses in France.

The real estate in Europe is very different from the real estate in America.

In general houses are built to last in Europe where as in America the planned life time is often very short ( by comparision )

In many American houses the only stone / brick work in the chimney stack around which is built a timber structure that is close to being a disposable construction.

It looks like a substantial house and in my opinion could look fantastic with some de-cluttering and some decorating.

Yes, I'd consider it ovepriced, by a decent margin.
If it was in the south of France, or in/around some large towns, it might be a fair price.
Brittany is the cheapest part of France for house prices and property prices are still very stagnant in France, more so in Brittany.
I would expect a few hectares of land, some fantastic views, some business potential, or some other attractive propositions to warrant that price.
I wouldn't consider more than about 180,000 Euros for it.

Sponsored Links
If it was in the south of France, or in/around some large towns, it might be a fair price.
Brittany is the cheapest part of France for house prices and property prices are still very stagnant in France, more so in Brittany.
I would expect a few hectares of land, some fantastic views, some business potential, or some other attractive propositions to warrant that price.

Rubbish.

Brittany is not the cheapest region of France, of the 21 regions it's probably around mid table.

As far as this property being a fair price it if it were in the S of F, again rubbish. If this property was in or around the Côte d'Azur it would be around €1.5m.

Not sure where you got your info from bit it's pretty wide of the mark, IMHO.

Rubbish.

Brittany is not the cheapest region of France, of the 21 regions it's probably around mid table.

As far as this property being a fair price it if it were in the S of F, again rubbish. If this property was in or around the Côte d'Azur it would be around €1.5m.

Not sure where you got your info from bit it's pretty wide of the mark, IMHO.

Thanks ... were you guys aware of this european site before showing the house ?? Is this some kind of site like Gumtree ? I like its design .. very simple and user friendly ..

This is the kind of property you should expect for that kind of money:
http://brittany.angloinfo.com/class...roperty-beautiful-farmhouse-8-box-new-stables

Perhaps I could have been more accurate by saying that Brittany is ONE OF the cheapest parts of France.

As for the comment that a similar house in South of France would go for €1,5M, that's like saying that because all houses in London are over €1M, then all houses in South England are over €1M!
One can see, from the report in the link, that the average house prices are under €500.000 in Côte d'Azur.
Also, note that the table is of actual value of houses, not advertised prices.

From this website, and from my own experience, one can see that prices are still falling or at least static, in France:
http://www.french-property.com/news/french_property_market/house_prices_first_quarter_2014/

It is very much a buyers maket.

Overpriced, but then that's how they price property in France, brother-in-law did a few property renovations and said you can half most of the prices, some even less.
Another relative just bought a barn to convert, it will comfortably convert to 12 bedroom property and comes with a few acres for less than 50000Eur.

Anyone else think this is an odd first post on UK DIY site?

why do you think it's an odd post ? I was just wanting to have people's opinion on the house .

Please excuse us. The trouble is that we have had more than our share of trolls on this site, often disappearing and then reappearing under different pseudonyms.

I think we have all learnt to become rather careful!

why do you think it's an odd post ? I was just wanting to have people's opinion on the house .

Please excuse us. The trouble is that we have had more than our share of trolls on this site, often disappearing and then reappearing under different pseudonyms.

well , I am not a troll , I did really want to have an opinion on this house since I do not live in Europe .

well , I am not a troll , I did really want to have an opinion on this house since I do not live in Europe .

Fair comment but, the majority of the members on here live in the UK, ok we may be in the EU but that's as far as our relationship with Europe goes, we don't even have the same currency as Europe. Asking about house prices in France won't get you any useful advice as we really haven't a clue. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back