Would you fess up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This links in with another of my posts.
Just days away from an exchange of contracts on the house and stupid here decides to have the chimney swept as a nice gesture for the buyer.
Sweeping reveals badly damaged liner/chimney. The whole thing needs redoing.
Would you keep quiet now that you officially know? Or would you inform your buyer and drop your price accordingly?
I did as it's a safety issue.
Plus the buyer is a copper! :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
From a moral stance yes.

From a legal stance I would suspect that if you knew something was a danger then you would have to reveal the fact.

As Bosswhite says, you can sleep at night knowing the new owners are aware of the defect. If they choose not to do anything about it then that is their fault.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't that be down to the surveyor report?
Buyer had a full structural survey but I guess checking the chimney liner was not in the remit. Would be pretty difficult to inspect anyway.

So, the (£1k?) "full" structural would be unlikely to find it, but the £70? chimney sweeping did.
as I posted previously, excellent expectation management by RICS.

I need a little bit of pointing done at the front where the mortar is missing. Was going to get it done but was advised that sometimes surveyors miss silly things and to wait and see if it came up. And it didn't. :rolleyes:

My own experiance of a full survey was.,....

The brick retaining wall was collasping and would cost £10,000s to fix = It was reinforced concrete with brick cladding, perfectly fine and just the brick that needed fixing for less than £1000.

Could not inspect the floor slab due to furniture = Place was empty and unnocupied.

Cracks in the brickwork wall, had no clue what they meant and said expert opinion would be needed (what the **** am I paying your for then), luckily knew someone who could take a peek, straight away said thermal movement and not a problem.

And of course insect holes in rafters (try and find any roof without some insect holes), inserted the usual line about no idea of active and treatment is recomended.

Utter Useless berk.

Sponsored Links
Back