wrought iron gates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have 2 small wrought iron gates, 1 at each side of my front garden. The postie and "flier delivery ppl" come in one gate and go out the other - leaving both open!. I looking for some way to make them "self close". Both of the gates are set between brick pillars, so I can not use a spring jobbie - the kind that is used on wooden gates. Help pls.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I can not come up with a way to secure/fasten the spring to the gate.( the fixing plate at the end of the spring is wider than the gate frame). I dont really like the idea of drilling the brick-work to secure the other end either. I would think that the stress/pressure required by the spring to close the gate would not take long to crumble the bricks where the screws secure that end of the spring.

How are the hinges fixed to the brickwork? If it's just screws it should be possible to move the bottom hinge so that the gate will close under it's own weight.
Altenatively, and I have seen this done, a little Heath Robinson but a cord pulleys and weights could be rigged up.

Sponsored Links
Hi, the hinges are sunk in to the brick pillar. Only have the pivot points sticking out, that the "gate eyes" (at the back of the gate) slot over. I had thought about a pulley sytem but it seems rather elaborate. I've been trying to think of some way that the gate will lift slightly as it opens, then the natural weight of the gate would cause it to close. (I hope that I am making sense here).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back