WTF? Now shower won't work at all!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed a noisy leaking pump from the shower circuit. This is a conventional gravity-fed system.

Immediately after I finished the shower worked fine. Now it doesn't. Not a drop. What the hell can have gone wrong? The only thing I can think is that the two flexible hoses have kinked inside their sheaths and collapsed. Here is a picture of what I have done. Any suggestions? Maybe I should just make up a couple of pieces of 22mm and use them to replace the hoses?

All other hot taps in the house are fine, as well as the bath taps, which come off the tank like the shower.

Plumbing007.jpg

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's not a blockage?
If all you did was change the pump and not touched anything else, i see no reason why a hose should suddenly fail.
If the shower worked fine, then didn't, that seems like debris has flushed through and got stuck.

For starters the shower would have been a high pressure type, and secondly how do expect the water to flow through an inverted loop of that size by gravity.

That's a bodge job worthy of East European labour. :LOL: At least the gate valves are BS quality.

Sponsored Links
If you notice the cold feed to the cylinder has no draincock, and the gate valve is below the flood level

Firstly I know it's a bodge - it is only intended to tide us over until we can revise the whole system next year with a bigger tank and all kinds of other modifications we want to make, including some panels.

Secondly the water flowed perfectly for 3 years when there was a pump in the place of those loops, even though we never ran the pump.

Thirdly I know there are valves only on the "flow" sides - the shower head is only a few feet away and I couldn't be bothered to put valves (although I bought them) on the "outlet" sides of my bodge because there is so little water in those legs of the pipework.

There is no draincock on the cold feed but there is one on the cylinder.

Postscript: OH F3CK IT! Just rechecked the valves and found..... I hadn't turned on the cold! It was tight closed and last night I assumed it was full open! The hot water was running for 20 seconds until hot came through then the shower valve was going into scald prevention and shutting off!

I feel such a prat. The shower is even slightly better than it was when running through the non-working pump.

There something wrong in that picture - I can see one section of copper pipe that doesn't have any solder snots or flux residue.

Also, the wall isn't as burnt as the cylinder.

Yeah, well, can't blame me for that....blame the bodger who built this house and whose bodges we will taken the next five years to un-bodge!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back