XP/3, drivers, USB ports AArgh!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have half a dozen USB ports on my oldish P4 2.66 PC. I get trouble using card readers. The most reliable type seem to be the single slot ones, but some/all seem/s to have lost their drivers.
Power and Active lights on it come on, but it doesn't trigger the PC to read it like it did.
I do get the bom-bim and reverse when I plug in or out.
I can't see the device on the port from Windows Explorer

If I plug a lead straight into a camera, that works.
Device manager:
Yesterday I could "See" the was something on a port but it didn't have a drive letter associated, now I can't see it.
Previously I've had a message like "insert a disc into drive XX"

I tried Windows Update, the site seems to have gone?

WOuld a System Restore bring it back, or...??

Is my problem likely caused by not "safely removing hardware"?

Does this help?
I have no idea which usb port is which...

here

Sponsored Links
There could be a few causes for this.

First go to Disk Management and see if the USB device is listed. If it is and there’s no drive letter assigned, see if you can assign a drive letter to the device.

If the USB device is listed in Disk Management with an drive letter, right-click on its listing and select Explore from the submenu. Hopefully, Windows Explorer will open and the device will be listed.

If that doesn't work I assume you've tried this next bit. Connect the USB device *directly* to a USB port on the computer, not via a USB hub or use a USB extension cable.. Try different USB ports if your computer has more than one. Try it in a different computer.

You could try booting the computer up with it connected.

If none of the above has worked go to the USB controller section of Device Manager, uninstall all the USB controllers listed and reboot. Or if the USB device is connected to a USB 2.0 PCI card, try changing the PCI slot to which it’s currently connected to another one.

There could be a few causes for this.

First go to Disk Management and see if the USB device is listed. If it is and there’s no drive letter assigned, see if you can assign a drive letter to the device.

Er, sorry, I don't understand what's "Disk management?" You mean like here?ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\diskmgmt.chm::/sag_DISKtrouble.htm
- dunno which box to tick..?

If the USB device is listed in Disk Management with an drive letter, right-click on its listing and select Explore from the submenu. Hopefully, Windows Explorer will open and the device will be listed.

I haven't seen it see anything with a drive letter since it "went wrong"

If that doesn't work I assume you've tried this next bit. Connect the USB device *directly* to a USB port on the computer, not via a USB hub or use a USB extension cable.. Try different USB ports if your computer has more than one. Try it in a different computer.

I have two "simple" card readers, same results for each, = nothing. They both stopped working together

You could try booting the computer up with it connected.
Tried that

If none of the above has worked go to the USB controller section of Device Manager, uninstall all the USB controllers listed and reboot.
Er, I have my current main hard drive on one, mouse as well I think. No idea which entry in Device Manager they are. Where should will it get drivers from? Gawd knows where my XP disc is now :oops: Really don't need to make things worse!

Or if the USB device is connected to a USB 2.0 PCI card, try changing the PCI slot to which it’s currently connected to another one.

They appear to come from the motherboard.

I appreciate your help, just not sure where things are or how they work, I'll poke about.

In Device Manager by the way, it says all the ports are "Working properly".

Sponsored Links
You can access Disk Management by going to Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools. Double click Computer Management and then click Disk Management in the left hand column. Alternatively go to Start>Right click on Computer>Manage>Disk Management. See if they are listed.

I assume since you are booting from a USB hard drive from what you've said that you've enabled USB devices in the BIOS. Uninstalling the drivers from the Device Manager will not effect this.

Back