XP machine waking itself from hibernate.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My PC keeps waking itself up from hibernate, I prefer to use hibernate as its quite an old machine and takes an age to boot otherwise.

Looking for ideas of what it could be, so far I have tried/checked USB power options, nothing is allowed to wake from there. stays powered off, not tried standby yet.
I have tried with all other machines on my workgroup off, have tried with the broadband turned off, but router still on.

I have just turned the WOL feature off, but this is not a long term solution, because I use that feature.

any ideas??

Oh, its XP Pro SP3,

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Have a look at any programs that have an auto update checker installed and see what time they are set to call home for updates.

Antivirus, antispyware and others like that.

Also, if you have any Google programs, check the Google Update Checker to see if that is running or set to run at a set time daily.

Before hibernating, open Task Manager and if GoogleUpdate.exe is there, click it and click End Process.
Then hibernate and see if it stays shut down.

dave

cheers, I shall do that.

its definatly a LAN waking issue, turned off WOL last night and its stayed hibernated, Im using avast on this machine, IIRC it checks for updates every 15 mins or so.

unless an update to a program has changed its update settings, nothing should be waking it, its only stared in the last week or so.

Sponsored Links
Try a system restore to the day before it started playing up., if you can remember when that was.

dave

I will be having a look at it tomorrow, unfortunately the PSU has died, it just wouldn't turn on this eve, have a spare so will whack that in tomorrow.

Ill also see what its like with my new router, my sky one has also died, after playing up for a day or so, so who knows what packets that was spitting out.
(grrr, technology doesn't like me at the moment!!)

Back