Y plan heating without room thermostat wiring - 3 port valve broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Drayton MA1 3 port valve has packed up and I'm looking to replace it later on today after work.

The system appears to be setup as Y plan but with full TRV's and without a room stat. I took a quick look in the wiring console earlier and it looks as though whoever has installed it has added a jumper on the terminals where a room stat would normally be - I presume this is a substitute for the room stat not being there but wouldn't this mean the boiler is always on, or relies on it's own thermostat to switch off?

Is it easier to add a room stat at this point? If so it would need to be in the small bedroom where the airing cupboard is located.

If adding it, I would look at changing the TRV on this rad to one that's always open.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, without a room thermostat the boiler will be on all the time, using vast amounts of extra fuel and wasting money.
There will be a thermostat in the boiler but that only reacts to the temperature of the water in the radiators, and if all of the TRVs close the boiler will then be heating water in the bypass loop, and will be cycling on/off continuously, ensuring it wears out as fast as possible.

Thanks Flameport, so it's going to be a good idea to add the Roomstat in now then :)

Is it going to be an issue having it in the same room (which is a box room that heats up quickly) as the cylinder?

Thanks

The thermostat would usually be positioned in a central area which is representative of the building as a whole, typically a hallway or landing, and in an area which does not have TRVs on the radiator(s).

If wires cannot be installed to such a location, wireless thermostats are available for this exact situation, enabling the thermostat to be positioned anywhere.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back