y-plan not calling Broag system boiler

Hi are you sure you have set Parameter 3 as already suggested by boilerman2?
Do you know how to do this? using the +,- and enter buttons.

Sponsored Links
I tried the links ( 3 to 4 ) on X9 , but this just fired on the boiler constantly.
Paul Barker meant to say link 3 to 4 on X2 (see earlier posts).

The strange thing I picked up from reading Paul's post and also the user manual was I should be able to feed a clock off pins 4[L] and 5[N] on X2 , but I have never had 230V on pin 4.
That is worrying. Have you checked all terminals on X2 for 230V?

X2 : pin 1 s/l
X2 : pin 3 linked to pin 4
X2 has no other connections
Correct

No blocks for X3 , X5 or X7 connectors
Correct. X3 is not mentioned at all in the manuals.

X4 : pin 1 connected to white
X4 : pin 2 connected to black
X4 : pin 3 connected to brown
X4 : pin 4 connected to blue
Are you sure you have this right? The wiring diagram on page 27 of the manual has it the other way round, i.e:

1=blue
2=brown
3=black
4=white

X6 : Permanent Live
X6 : Permanent Neutral
Correct

X9: pin 3 linked to pin 4
X9: pin 5 linked to pin 6
X9 : pin 7 linked to pin 8
X9 has no other connections
Remove the link between 3 and 4 (see earlier in this post). The rest is correct.

As for checking/changing Parameter P.3, does any one know what this is used for? The default setting is 1 (CH on/HW on), but "on" in what sense? Are they talking about the volt free connections on X9 or the combi boiler or what? Is it something to do with the way a combi boiler and system boilers with weather compensation will automatically run at full output when HW is called?

I think it might be worth experimenting by setting P3 to 2 (CH on/HW off) as all boiler control is via X2 terminal 1 which is the CH ON terminal.

I am sorry OP that I confused the situation by lack of attention to detail.

It is actually very easy for us to do a job, to talk someone through it is a whole dfferent ball game and I am dislexic which means these types of communication are very flawed.

I kjnow what to do but don't communicate it in writing accurately.

Sponsored Links
I missed this bit! I am also confused by what you are saying. :confused:

it's firing up the boiler from the 230V demand feed { from Wiring centre term 8 orange from 3-way valve }
Where are you connecting the output from wiring centre term 8 to on the boiler?
Is this the only 230V connection (nothing going to X6)?

but when I feed a permanent Live , place the 230V demand in term 1 on X2 and remove the links.
Is the permanent live to X6?
Presumably the demand if from wiring centre term 8?
Are you talking about the links on X2 (1-4 and 3-4)

It starts up but won't call CH or DHW
What do you mean by this?

The Parameters are settings in software used for different situations The 24S is factory set for 2=CH on and DHW off all the Avanta range use the same pcb's so the parameters have to be set to suit ie Combi, System,Ngas,Propane etc.

The Parameters are settings in software used for different situations The 24S is factory set for 2=CH on and DHW off all the Avanta range use the same pcb's so the parameters have to be set to suit ie Combi, System,Ngas,Propane etc.
No mention of that in any of the installation manuals! According to them all boilers are set to 1 (CH on and HW on).

It's not even mentioned in the Wiring Manual.

P40, 2.9.10 is the nearest you will get to telling you about setting the pcb for different models.

OP I would advise you disconnect all your wiring, replace all links as per delivery state, reset boiler as in above section mentioned and start again.

I do wonder whether you may have connected any 240vac to block X9, in which case you will have blown the board as X9 is for volt free switching only.

P40, 2.9.10 is the nearest you will get to telling you about setting the pcb for different models.
Not in my system/combi Manual! The table on p38 gives what the different P.3 settings mean and P42, 2.9.10, says how to reset the boiler to default settings.

The OP seems to have fallen asleep! Maybe we should hold off replying until he wakes up and replies!

Sorry guys , I'm currently not able to carry out any tests until Wednesday , I've not put 240V on X9 at any time . But will provide all tests done up to pres. hopefully tonight

Hi D_Hailsham
Please look at page 38 of installation/ service book supplied with boiler

Hi D_Hailsham
Please look at page 38 of installation/ service book supplied with boiler
I have only just noticed that there are separate table for the Combi [page 37] and System [page 38] boilers! On the combi P3 is set to 1 and on the system it is set to 2. That makes sense.

Note to OP
Set Parameter P3 to 2.

Guys , I reset the boiler as advised , put the wiring back to the default and fired her up again .
Still no joy .

I got my meter out and tested pin's on X2 , which confused me even more , pin5 was Live , { this should be the neutral ? } then it dawned on me , I have been looking for a boiler issue when all the time this was a power source problem , I confirmed this by testing perm. X6 feed { yes , it was reversed } .
##### brown and blue were reversed on the electric spur socket ######

For all the guys who have assisted me with this problem I'd like to thank you all and apologise for wasting your time .

Many thanks

then it dawned on me , I have been looking for a boiler issue when all the time this was a power source problem , I confirmed this by testing perm. X6 feed { yes , it was reversed } .
##### brown and blue were reversed on the electric spur socket ######
Just shows that you should never assume anything and always check everything. It's called "starting from from first principles".

Glad you have sorted it now. :D

You have been extremely lucky because these pcb's don't like that, they also require a very good earth.

But if it is ll working you should have got away with it.

It is by the way a lot more common than you may imagine. Manufacturers phone lines are usually jammed with calls from people who bought a boiler at b and q fitted it themselves with false polarity.

Makes you wander how safe they are with the gas side if they can't even get electrical polarity right.

So much for the effectiveness of imposing the extra cost of part part P on the professionals!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back