Y Plan to S Plan Wiring Nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

Hope someone can help me as i'm in a bit of a pickle as well as feeling like a complete idiot!!

My cylinder (20 yr old) leaked and yesterday was replaced and system also converted from from Y Plan to S Plan (1 x 3 port to 2 x 2 port valves).
The plumber was not responsible for the wiring as I thought it would be easy but I was wrong!

Please see attached pic of the electrical connector block in the airing cupboard.

Where do I connect the new 2 port valves too the ports both have 5 core cable from them.

System consists of the following:
Vaillant 418 boiler
Programer under boiler to set heating and hot water times
Thermostat in hallway
Cylinder, cylinder stat and 2 x 2 port valves in airing cupboard.

Many Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_3218.JPG
    IMG_3218.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 785
Sponsored Links
Have you not googled s plan wiring diagram?
Do that first, because your picture means nothing as it stands. Where do the wires go that disappear into the wall? There are several alterations to be made at the cyl stat, the programmer and probably the pump needs connecting direct to the boiler.

On a 2-port, grey is permanent live, blue is neutral, green/yellow is earth, brown is switch power in from thermostat and orange is switch live to power the boiler and pump. Generally, the oranges from both 2-ports would be wired into the same terminal

Why is the cylinder stat blue wire connected to neutral? That should be sleeved brown and be connected to the brown wire of the hot water zone valve. <-- ignore this.

Current from programmer should be interrupted by the cylinder stat before energising the zone valve. Timer and room stat similar, unless a programmable stat is fitted. Grey and orange from zone valve energise boiler, boiler controls pump.

Have a look at an s-plan diagram on the net, follow how it actually works rather than blindly copying it. Bear in mind that the pump will be connected to the boiler pump output for overrun.

Edited for clarity, tablet computer is playing up again.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Look at Honeywell S plan on their site.

I believe theres a download

Just remember that earth and neutrals are constant and just concentrate on where the switched lives go

Just because a wire is g/y or Blue does not mean it should be connected to E or N.
Trace where the wires go to avoid big bangs and shorted micro witches!

Just because a wire is g/y or Blue does not mean it should be connected to E or N.

There shouldn't be any reason why a N or E has been used as a switch wire.

If people use the correct cable with the correct amount of cores then Blue or Black would be N and E would always be G/Y.

It only becomes an issue when divots take shortcuts and don't label things

If people use the correct cable with the correct amount of cores then Blue or Black would be N and E would always be G/Y.

IF being the operative word !!
In my world I find that rarely does this happen!!
Have you seen some of the Tupper solutions.??

IF being the operative word !!
In my world I find that rarely does this happen!!
Have you seen some of the Tupper solutions.??

Never had to use them mate . Call me old fashioned but I'm a firm believer of S plan Y plan and on/off controls mostly. Dan R is friends with me still even so(y)

Why is the cylinder stat blue wire connected to neutral? That should be sleeved brown and be connected to the brown wire of the hot water zone valve.
Cyl stat blue core terminates into boiler switched live , it's the pump neutral you are refering too and not the cyl stat.
The controls wiring is a mis match between a Y and S plan , It appears No1 term on cyl stat is used to switch boiler...:)

Using neutral/earths for switch lives is one thing..... not sleeving is fookin laziness and just shows the mentality of the installer...
Some sparkies may get it wrong due to unfamiliarity with system controls but at least they use the correct cable for the job in hand , it's usually the heating engineer who leaves this type of abortion.
BTW I'm not an electrician....just saying how it is ....when I come across this shyte (regular occurance) then I sleeve.

Using neutral/earths for switch lives is one thing..... not sleeving is fookin laziness and just shows the mentality of the installer...
Some sparkies may get it wrong due to unfamiliarity with system controls but at least they use the correct cable for the job in hand , it's usually the heating engineer who leaves this type of abortion.
BTW I'm not an electrician....just saying how it is ....when I come across this shyte (regular occurance) then I sleeve.

Im fooking far from perfect steel but I make sure Ive got 5 core 3 core and 4 core.

****es me right off when bell peices only carry twin and earth

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back