YABT (yet another basement thread)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi friendly people at DIYnot!

Apologies for another thread about basements (they seem to be quite popular from what I gather). I have been reading various articles and forums for around 2 hours but I'm still not 100% on what my options are...

I've just moved into a flat in London which has a basement around 3x15m. I'm a musician with a lot of instruments that my girlfriend doesn't want distributed around the rest of the flat, so I'm hoping to turn the basement into a practice/storage space and teaching room. The floor is covered in loose irregular wood panels but underneath that appears to be just damp earth. However there is a small hole in this floor that has concretey material inside it so I don't really know what's going on floorwise (can supply pictures tomorrow when I'm back home) The walls are bone dry by the way.

The property is a rental, the landlord doesn't mind what I do down there (quiet at the back!) but won't stump up any cash for this project, so I'm looking for the cheapest solution to get a room I can have my instruments in without them getting destroyed through moisture in the air.

I have several 8x4 plywood sheets from a flight-case building project, maybe I could lay these over the ground and then cover that with lino+carpet?
Alternately I'm happy to try concreting the floor myself but given the surface area I don't know if it's feasible to mix it in a bucket in my shed. Or I could pay someone to come concrete it, does anyone know roughly how much that would cost?

Thanks for reading through this post, all advice gratefully accepted :)

EDIT: Forgot to add, there is an air brick type thing at the back of the basement so it does have fresh air coming in from the outside.

Sponsored Links
I can't see any way of keeping those instruments dry, other than doing a proper conversion which will cost you £000's

Google for tanking and basement ventilation. Its not just the case of throwing some concrete down

So if I was to throw the concrete down would the water come up through the walls instead?

I just want to understand what the risks are at present because I've got all my gear stashed there already. The air doesn't seem that damp, I'll get a humidity meter to check. If I put the wood panels down would that somehow increase humidity in the room?

The basement definitely doesn't flood even after heavy rain, so I'm assuming all I have to worry about is humidity level?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back