yale 3400 alarm

Sponsored Links
take the batts out of all the sensors and see if it goes away,
Forgive my ignorance but surely if you remove the batteries then the sensor will "dis-appear" from the panel when the panel can longer hear any "I am here" messages from the sensor(s). This would or rather should create a system failure alarm.

Or can a totally dead sensor go un-noticed due to there being no messages from the sensor other than "Motion detected" and "Battery Low"

Is it really the case that sudden death of a sensor will not be noticed by the panel ?

take the batts out of all the sensors and see if it goes away,
Forgive my ignorance but surely if you remove the batteries then the sensor will "dis-appear" from the panel when the panel can longer hear any "I am here" messages from the sensor(s). This would or rather should create a system failure alarm.

Or can a totally dead sensor go un-noticed due to there being no messages from the sensor other than "Motion detected" and "Battery Low"

Is it really the case that sudden death of a sensor will not be noticed by the panel ?

The 3400 isn't a control panel based system.

The 3400 uses the siren as the 'master' which sits and waits for activations when it is armed.

Siren or panel as " Master " the question, slightly modified, remains

"" Is it really the case that sudden death of a sensor will not be noticed by the Master ? ""

Sponsored Links
It is the case that when the system uses the siren as the master you can lose sensors from the system if you ignore the low battery warnings you get from them.

Just like smoke alarms fail when people don't test them.

With the panel based systems as you know that is not the case. Any sensors removed from a panel based system will trigger a fault at the panel.

I can't bang on enough about changing the batteries every two years to keep the systems sweet.
Its not rocket science.

It is the case that when the system uses the siren as the master you can lose sensors from the system if you ignore the low battery warnings you get from them.

If that is true then in my professional opinion that is a major failing in the system's ability to protect. It seems you are saying that batteries go flat un-noticed and the sensor can no longer send messages to the siren then the siren simply forgets about that sensor and does not raise an alarm to say a sensor is now missing from the system. ( Missing in that it has not been heard from for several hours / days or what ever period it is. )

Is it true ?

Are you saying that the user has to test each sensor to ensure it can trigger the alarm and this testing has to be done on a regular basis ?

If the sensor's transmitter has failed ( or its transmissions cannot reach the siren ) then the battery low indications will not reach the siren and ( it seems ) the siren will forget about the sensor.

No way would I ever consider that to be a reliable system.

each sensor has a red led on it.
That is the pirs AND the door contacts.

When these sensor batteries start getting low the red lights flicker for 5 seconds whenever they are activated.

This then draws your attention to the sensor.

When the flickering starts you have approx 1 month before the battery will expire.

As mentioned time and time again simply swapping batteries every two years WILL keep your systems working fine.

My Wife and I recently bought a house and the previous owners had a Yale HSA 3400 fitted some years ago that they never used, they gave us the pin and showed us how it works and it worked just fine, however now that we have bought the house it doesn't seem to work.

I enter the pin and press ARM on the wall unit (as instructed by the previous owners), the wall unit sounds a longish beep while the lights are on and then the lights flicker just the once and all go off, including the 'Active' light.

Surely if the alarm is armed the 'Active' light should remain on???

We have not yet moved in, however we want to start moving things in, i.e. furniture, tv, etc. but we don't feel it's safe to do that without a working alarm.

Any help will be hugely appreciated..

I have manuals for several of the Yale alarms, but not the 3400
download it from http://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/ProductsDB/?groupId=4313&productId=59257
here

Looking at the manual, it appears to be a Keypad, not a Control Panel, so the control circuit is inside the siren case, and the keypad just sends it signals such as "arm" "disarm" so the indicator lights will not illuminate all the time.

Please post some photos of what you have got, if after you have downloaded and read the manual, it does not seem to work. You will doubtless need to fit new Alkaline batteries all round, including the siren. I get mine from Maplin, or Memorex off Ebay, when buying a lot, but Aldi and Lidl alkaline batteries are also good buys.

after changing the batteries, if you want to try it out with a simulated alarm, set the siren to minimum period, or bring the siren into the house, so you do not annoy the neighbours.

You will probably get some valueless posts from people who dislike inexpensive wireless DIY alarms, they delight in coming onto these threads.

Thanks for your response JohnD, really appreciate it.

I have changed all the batteries throughout the system, however I am unable to reach the Siren due to it being so high up on an external wall and my ladders not reaching! Currently in the process of acquiring bigger ladders but may not have them until later on in the week. Already bought the D batteries from Asda (Duracell Plus Power 2 x 4-pack for £8 :LOL: ) now just need to access the Siren.

Hopefully changing the batteries will resolve the problem. I will keep you posted on the outcome.

Thanks again for the advice :D

you might consider putting it near an upstairs window, where it cannot be reached from the ground, but is in clear sight and you can lift it indoors through the window.

the upper screwholes in the backing plate are keyhole-shaped, so unless you tighten them, you can lift the casing off.

Sometimes a window cleaner may be willing to help when the batteries need changing.

Usually the guide is to fit new alkaline batteries every two years. I have considered Lithium cells which are more expensive but should last longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back