Yale EF 2 assuming this is actually a genuine fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I've just bought the Yale EF 2 and iv been reading the settings on it for ages now to try stop my living room pir from making the door chime. Iv turned it onto away entry which according to the instructions its says it shouldn't create a chime but it does. When I select burgler or home emit it stops it chiming iv tried to make the other pir chime out of interest and that one doesn't chime when I select away entry. Very annoying. Can anyone give me any ideas. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
why did you want to make the living room PIR an "entry" sensor? It isn't a door.

Exactly!

You have to set it to away entry to allow it to not set the alarm off when I open the door and walk through the room to disarm the alarm but also not act as a door chime.

At the minute its acting like an entry alarm which is a door chime as well. I can't seem turn it off that setting unless I pick burgler or home omit.

The options you have are:
Burgler
Home omit
Entry
Away entry

According to the instructions "entry" and "away entry" are the same apart from away entry turns off the door chime option.

"Burgler" sets the sensor to instant alarm so you don't get the entry timer or exit timer yet it contridicts its self and says that it will not go off until the timer has finished.

"Home omit" turns the sensor off when you set the home alarm and turns it on when you set the away alarm

So I'm lost at the minute at what's meant to happen.

I still don't understand.

When you set the alarm, "away" you presumably later come into the house through a door, which is your "entry" sensor.

When you set the alarm "home" you presumably wander around inside your house, without activating the alarm when you walk past sensors which are "home omit", including if you wander into the living room.

Is that right?

Sponsored Links
Well I thought that all the sensors you pass or set off along the way would need to be "away entry" or "entry" to allow the entry timer to continue?

E.g "entry" for the door to allow it to chime when the alarms deactivated. Then when I get in the house and need to walk through the living room past the pir sensor that would also need to be "away entry"(stop the chime sound when the alarms deactived but allow me to keep the timer when the alarms active) if that makes sense?

This is the way it explains things in the instructions. It doesn't mention anything about once one sensor has been actived that all other sensors are now ignored until the timer has counted down or the relevant sensor settings have finished been used. (Timer/setting the alarm off)

I don't care about home alarm and walking around inside at night. Its more the fact if I'm out and I get back and I enter through the door which starts the timer I don't want the pir to then set the alarm off fully when I walk past it to turn the alarm off.

At the same time I don't want the pir to be a door chime when the alarms switched off

Also when I select the option "away entry" for the pir the door chime isn't meant to work but it still does. Something wrong there surely?

"Entry" is for the door you come in through. Nothing else.

So. Whats the "Away Entry" setting for?

Bearing in mind "Entry" and "Away Entry" are two different settings.

Also if i now need to set the Living room PIR to burglar when i walk down in the morning is that now going to set the alarm off when it see's me or should it give me the count down timer first?

when you are at home, and want a "home" set, you define the internal sensors, that you can walk past when you are at home, as home omit.

If you want the downstairs sensors to be active when you are at home, it will be easier if you put the panel in the hall or landing. Then your home set will be "upstairs, gone to bed" and the first thing you do when you get up is to unset the alarm.

You want a burglar to set off the alarm at once if he climbs in through a broken window, not to start a time delay.

I have a keypad near the front door, and one at the top of the stairs, which I find very convenient (three storey house). My "partial set" (equivalent to "home") is front and back doors, garage doors, hall, so it will activate if someone breaks in or reaches the stairs in the hall. Full set (equivalent to "away") adds the PIR sensors inside the ground and first floor rooms.

Your package is not the same as the systems I use/have used so some of the terminology or options may be different. I have also used four or five different Yale packs.

Ok that makes sense. Thanks for your help.

I need to keep the alarm in the cupboard other wise it won't have the range to get the garage door as well. Shame really.

So i think what I need to do is buy one of them remote keypads for mine and just keep that with me and that will sort my problem. I was just hoping I might of been able to get away with it another way without having to buy more things.

I'm going too have to buy a couple of pet pir sensors anyway as I think my kittens will set these ones off.

I was just trying to think how a wired alarm would work and it would work the same as this one. I was just thinking I would be able to change the setting on the sensor to allow me to avoid having to buy a keypad and keeping the alarm out of the hall.

Still strange how it won't adjust that entry setting on that pir but it will on the other but never mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back