Yale Premium Alarm Kit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm thinking of getting this alarm as I want a DIY wireless alarm. Can I get some reviews please from owners or if youve installed this alarm.

Please dont all shoot me down saying 'pay a professional' as this isnt an option.

Is it a good alarm for what it is? Tamper proof ect....

Many thanks.

Robo

Sponsored Links
you mean the one that has a control panel that will ring several phone no's with a recorded message? I saw it on special offer at Ironmongery Direct at £129. List price is about £200. http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...Protection/7194/Yale_Premium_Alarm_Kit/825434

It's the best of the Yale alarms. People will tell you a hard-wired alarm is better, and no doubt it often is, but the Yale is very quick to install and you can have it working in an hour or two.

My tip is to set the siren for a one-second hoot for the first day or two, while you get used to it, to avoid annoying the neighbours with false alarms which will cause them to ignore it.

It is absolutely vital to put the control panel well away from a potential entry point, to prevent anyone yanking its wires to prevent it phoning out or, smashing the panel while it is in count-down, before the siren starts. once the siren has started, smashing the panel will not stop it.

You can put a extra keypad near the front door to set and unset the panel.

You can add up to 20 sensors and aditional sirens to it. The series 3000 parts are fully compatible with the 6000 series, but not so easy to use as they do not have a test button on the outside. The cheapest way to buy additional sensors and a siren is to buy the more basic alarm kit with no panel.

Allow for reading through the manual first and watching the DVD a few times so that you understand what you are doing.

Put the siren where it is easy to see but not easy yo reach. Sometimes you can put it where you can reach it through an outside window to change the batteries after two or three years.

Tamper proof ect....

No system using radio is tamper proof.

Mostly the tampering is accidental jamming from other equipment legally using the same radio frequency.

I believe the Yale wireless system bell box detects jamming and operates the siren to indicate there is jamming.

Whilst it is technically true no wireless is immune to jamming the latest versions run on a different frequency. So its not like years ago when a mini cab would set off a system!
Newer equipment also uses two way reporting, a much safe way of doing things. I dont think the Yale does that ( no doubt someone will be along).
If your going down the wireless route use Visonic Powermax or Scantronic Ion, Even Texecom Mesh. A bit more expensive but you get what you pay for.

Sponsored Links
the Yale sensors, keyfob and keypad have a transmitter but not a receiver; the sirens have a receiver but not a transmitter; the control panel has a receiver to pick up the sensors, and a transmitter to send to the siren.

This enables you to code many sirens to the same panel, if you want to. As you say, the system does not have 2-way communication and there are no acknowledgement signals. It also means that the siren, for example if it gets a tamper alarm, does not notify the panel so will not be logged.

However the Yale system is fairly cheap (especially when on special offer) and easy to install, and additional sensors, sirens and kits are readily available, even good used parts on fleabay. The control panel is the most expensive part, and difficult to get a used or discounted one.

Whilst it is technically true no wireless is immune to jamming the latest versions run on a different frequency. So its not like years ago when a mini cab would set off a system!
Newer equipment also uses two way reporting, a much safe way of doing things. I dont think the Yale does that ( no doubt someone will be along).
If your going down the wireless route use Visonic Powermax or Scantronic Ion, Even Texecom Mesh. A bit more expensive but you get what you pay for.
Getting decent results with the Risco stuff too.

Hello,

I'm thinking of getting this alarm as I want a DIY wireless alarm. Can I get some reviews please from owners or if youve installed this alarm.

Please dont all shoot me down saying 'pay a professional' as this isnt an option.

Is it a good alarm for what it is? Tamper proof ect....

Many thanks.

Robo

It is excellent , I have installed hundreds and and only ever get calls from people 2 years after they have been installed when the sensor batteries need replacing. Very inexpensive to do so. around £20 for a full set of batteries so only £10 a year upkeep on average.

It is tamper proof also.

If the siren detects a signal trying to jam its frequency it activates.
Exactly the same as someone snipping a wired system and setting off its tamper alarm.
Don't listen to tales of spurious false alarms in over two years and hundreds of installations I have only had ONE suspected frequency jam.

Each individual sensor has a tamper alarm via microswitch also.....
If someone attempts to...
open a sensor
remove a sensor
move the control panel
open the siren
or remove the siren from the wall
ALL of those events would instantly activate the alarm.

Thanks for the replies.

I purchased the alarm at the weekend. A quick question for when I fit it. My dog stays in the dining room, I have a half glass door to the lounge. If I fit a PIR in the lounge will it sense the dog though the glass? I'm sure the answers no but thought I'd check!

Thanks for the replies.

I purchased the alrm at the weekend. A quick question for when I fit it. My dog stays in the dining room, I have a half glass door to the lounge. If I fit a PIR in the lounge will it sense the dog though the glass? I'm sure the answers no but thought I'd check!

You can get animal PIR that are supposedly ok for small-ish pets - not sure about the glass door question, Yaleguy and JohnD are probably best to answer those (both very, very helpful posters in this forum - cheers guys)

It is absolutely vital to put the control panel well away from a potential entry point, to prevent anyone yanking its wires to prevent it phoning out or, smashing the panel while it is in count-down, before the siren starts. once the siren has started, smashing the panel will not stop it.

You can put a extra keypad near the front door to set and unset the panel.

Does that mean then that it doesn't matter if the extra keypad is smashed, the main control panel will continue to count down.

.[/quote]

Does that mean then that it doesn't matter if the extra keypad is smashed, the main control panel will continue to count down.[/quote]

Yes thats the point

Idealy keep the entry time down to a minimum.
You know the way in, and the code.

If the siren detects a signal trying to jam its frequency it activates.
Exactly the same as someone snipping a wired system and setting off its tamper alarm.

Not really 'exactly the same'. In a wired system the panel will also activate and signal to the ARC or digicom or whatever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back