Yet another question about moving a gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've seen quite a few posts on this but was hoping someone could clear this up for me. My understanding of plumbing especially relating to gas is limited so apologies for my ignorance. With regards to having a meter moved from what I've managed to gather from other posts and online searches a gas safe engineer with met1 can:
-extend the pipe or anaconda AFTER the ecv and before the meter.
-an ecv must then be fitted at the new meter position
-this work needs to have permission from the mam

I want to move my meter from inside the kitchen the exact position on the outside wall. So about the thickness of the wall. British Gas have said they can move the gas meter within 1m but only on the same wall as taking it outside would mean moving the service pipe.

Here's a picture:

//media.diynot.com/229000_228297_94362_99385791_thumb.jpg

Surely if a hole was drilled in the wall just above the ecv the anaconda could be taken back through the wall and then up through the bottom of a meter box easily within the 1m radius set by British Gas? I know we'd have to leave the service pipe and ecv in the cupboard but that would be better than paying £700 for National grid to shorten the service pipe by 30cm. Is there some reason why this isn't possible? Would affect gas pressure or something? Will the British gas engineer refuse to do this? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply, but national grid charge a standard rate of £700 for moving the meter any distance. As I understand it, my supplier British Gas can consent to the meter being moved and will do so up 1m as long as the service pipe isn't altered. Question is can we take it back through the wall as long as it within the 1m radius and the service pipe and ecv are un-altered.

Sponsored Links
You cant do that. The anaconda and ecv should be with the meter. The anaconda cant pass through a wall, you should be able to inspect the whole length.

So not even with the anaconda and an aecv with the re-positioned meter outside? Like I said I don't know much about it so sorry if these are stupid questions just wanted to avoid paying so much for national grid to move service pipe.

Like this:
http://postimage.org/

I have to say that I don't see anything wrong with what you are proposing from a Gas Regulation aspect. Perhaps someone else might though.

But getting anyone to actually do it may be difficult.

Technically the supplier should be asked for their consent as the meter belongs to them.

The reality is that if you found someone to do it then its very unlikely that any problems would ever arise.

Tony

How will the plumber stop gas coming out of the supply pipe while he is assembling the elbow to go through the wall to the external control valve.

How will the elbow be constructed ?

During the renovation of my cottage I had the gas meter moved from 4 foot high on the wall in a surface box to a semi concealed ( half buried ) box. I don't recall it being as much as £ 700 ( four years ago ) but I do recall from the discussions about the new location there were rules about the gas main not passing through walls before the first isolator valve.

The discussions were about gas supplies to listed buildings where external meter boxes were not allowed by the Conservation Officer. ( other than semi concealed boxes ).

I don't recall it being as much as £ 700 ( four years ago ) but I do recall from the discussions about the new location there were rules about the gas main not passing through walls before the first isolator valve.

If that was really the case then the 50% of the houses with internal gas meters would be incorrect.

Although not an actual regulation the preference is for all meters to be external for ease of meter reading and for safety because the gas can be turned off externally.

It has always surprised me that there is no requirement for an external gas shut off valve in domestic properties.

Tony

How will the plumber stop gas coming out of the supply pipe while he is assembling the elbow to go through the wall to the external control valve.
Really??

Yes really. When my meter was moved the plastic supply pipe was squeezed flat to reduce gas flow to almost zero before the pipe was cut away from the valve and meter. Even outdoors and the pipe squashed flat the smell of gas was noticeable.

How will the gas pipe be closed off between the time it is disconnected from the existing valve and meter and the time is connected to the new pipework. Since the supply pipe in internal it is unlikely to be plastic and therefore could not be closed off by being squashed flat.

Even if the supply pipe is plugged within seconds of being disconnected the amount of gas that escapes could, in a confined space, create a fire or explosion hazard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back