Your ideas please. Shower tray draining into SaniFlo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

Upstairs on-suite with no access to soil stack.
Shower tray is raised off floor by 100mm, draining into Saniflow inlet B via low profile trap. Saniflow has built-in one way check valve on each of the two inlets. The other inlet A draining the sink.

When shower is used, water does not drain too readily into inlet B, probably due to Saniflow internal static water pressure holding the check valve closed or only partially open.

My solution is to raise the shower tray again by another 100mm, to try and overcome the static pressure check valve on inlet B.

No doubt others have had similar problems, if so, what was their solution please?

regards, silly old moo

Sponsored Links
In order to make you saniflow work, the bottom of the shower tray needs to higher than the top of the Saniflo

this has to be a trick question! The only correct solution is to move the shower to drain into a soil stack!

newboy said:
In order to make you saniflow work, the bottom of the shower tray needs to higher than the top of the Saniflo

Yes, at least above the internal water level. But that is not what the information diagrams suggest, nor what the local Saniflow tech rep made any comment about when inspecting site, pre-installation. Nor were any comments made in phone calls. read in info leaflets, both to support departments of suppliers and manufacturer. :( The main problem I had was trying to find out whether I could use both inlets A and B (left and right inlets) at the same time. One diagram showed that you could, another showed only the one inlet connected. Unfortunately, there seemed to be a lack of positive information around, and I didn't ask here at the time to get the real information.

So we now go down the route of raising said platform and shower tray / shower enclosure and tiling to suite...
Thanks for the help.

Without a major internal rebuild and ground works, a new soil stack connection is out of the question.

The outflow works well, up the wall, across the loft and connected to the original soil stack with a boss. Wall pipe is 30mm, expanding to 40mm in the loft with sufficient fall to self drain into stack.

regards, silly silly moo

Sponsored Links
There IS a model of Saniflow which goes on the back of a WC, with two inlets, one for basin, one for shower. I think there's another just for basin and shower (no WC). Either way, you need a BIT of height to make it work. If you've got the Saniflo box sitting on the floor and the shower trap outlet 100mm above floor level, I'd have thought that would work OK(insofar as the bluddy things EVER work for any length of time - but that's because I HATE jobs needing long rubber gloves!!!).

croydoncorgi said:
There IS a model of Saniflow which goes on the back of a WC, with two inlets, one for basin, one for shower. I think there's another just for basin and shower (no WC). Either way, you need a BIT of height to make it work. If you've got the Saniflo box sitting on the floor and the shower trap outlet 100mm above floor level, I'd have thought that would work OK(insofar as the bluddy things EVER work for any length of time - but that's because I HATE jobs needing long rubber gloves!!!).

Yep, that's how it is. Unfortunately, as I mentioned, the shower drain off is a bit slow, and having to paddle in the tray is no fun.

Would you believe the twin entry and pan model only came with one inlet adapter. My local tech rep (where I purchased it from at a good discount), included another adapter for the other inlet FOC, so that made us both happy.

Thanks again, off to give my udders a pull, regards, silly moo

Jasonb said:
Saniflo say 120mm is the minimum the base of the tray should be above the bottom of the unit so tou will need to raise the tray. Also what length is the pipe run, are you getting at least a 1:40 fall.

http://www.saniflo.co.uk/pdf/SANIPRO.pdf

Jason

Thanks the link. More info then what came with the manufacturers box. Will look into it when I get more time. Busy with virus removal from customers PC...

Looks like my tray is right on the limit for successful drain.

regards, the moo

is it feasible to locate the saniflow down stairs, in say an airing cupboard on the top floor and run the waste to it. my be try www.saniflo.co.uk and go to there faq section.

That PDF is the same as what comes with the unit, have you got one made by Saniflo or someone else, if so is the model suitable for showers as not all of them are.

A top access shower waste may give better fall than a shallow trap, less hassel if it gets blocked.

Ray, bit of a job to mount downstaits if you have got to fit a pan to it!

Jason

Jasonb said:
That PDF is the same as what comes with the unit, have you got one made by Saniflo or someone else, if so is the model suitable for showers as not all of them are.

A top access shower waste may give better fall than a shallow trap, less hassel if it gets blocked.

Ray, bit of a job to mount downstaits if you have got to fit a pan to it!

Jason

All I got was a leaflet for a TurboFlush Macerator, basic installation and nothing else apart from installtion kit. Unfortunately not a lot of info.

regards, your local moo

Have you fixed this yet?
Our saniflow has been just fine for around 15 years but now the shower won't drain. I have just taken the whole thing to bits and can't really see anything wrong. The shower drain is clear, the inside of the saniflow is clean (well ish). The only thing I can see wrong is that the saniflow non-return valve on the shower side is floating about inside. I am a bit loathe to put the whole thing back togetehr when I can't see anything wrong.

The shower drain is clear, the inside of the saniflow is clean (well ish). The only thing I can see wrong is that the saniflow non-return valve on the shower side is floating about inside. I am a bit loathe to put the whole thing back togetehr when I can't see anything wrong.[/quote]

Nope not fixed. I am going to replumb the shower/basin so that they go directly to the waste stack. It will mean removing large amounts of chipboard flooring and cutting through as many joists. It;s the only way I can prevent the water stagnating in the shower waste pipe to the saniflow. Even with the non-return valve, I suspect there is leakage as occasionally bad smells and gas exisiting the shower tray waste trap can be heard.

I would suggest that you definitley makse sure the non-return on the showerside is working.

Are you using one or both inlets to the saniflow?

I have a horrible suspicion that there appears to be two "bump stops" missing from underneath my toilet seat, and they disappeared down the toilet waste on installation/use. This could be the cause of my problems in jamming valves. Again occasionally, but not recently, a metalic grinding noise could be heard from the sanilflow, but that has not reared it's ugly head for some time.

Unfortunately, the saniflow is in an awkward position, and does not take readily to dismantling. When I finish rebuilding the kitchen and bathroom, I will take another look at the on-suite and sort it out once and for all.

regards

I am pretty sure that the non-connected valve was restricting flow from the shower. Our shower base is 100mm above the floor the saniflo is sitting on and has worked fine for a couple of years.
Using both inlets, the other for a sink.
Ours is terribly awkward too, I had to take the lav out to get the saniflo out and I really don't to have to go backwards and forwards.

The flexible plastic diaphram in the non-return valve had disappeared. Saniflo kindly sent me a nr valve FOC, all ok now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back