zafira 1.8 2008 rattle on start up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi. my zafira has done about 35000 miles and as the cold weather has arived somtimes it rattles when started cold. it is serviced and the noise sounds like it is coming from the cam cover. i remember somone telling me that some cars with hydrolic valves somtimes do this, is this true? after a few seconds of idling it goes quiet again. it runs well and is not using any oil. i am going to check to see if it's still under waranty tommorow when i go to the dealer on another matter. any info or advise will be most welcome. :mad:

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't worry too much about this one Chris - it sounds like typical valve rattle and so long as the oil light goes out immediately all will be well.
Issues like this can be minimised by using the correct viscosity and grade of oil, plus a genuine Vauxhall oil filter.
John :)

yeah, well. the service was preported to have been done prior to me having the car from arnold clarke ( now main vauxhall dealer) lol! i don't trust garages, would it be wise todo the oil and filter again before the winter sets in?

It sure doesn't do any harm Chris - personally I think that oil drain intervals have gone crazy but thats just me.
Regarding the hydraulic tappets, I think your engine is the 16 valve X18XE or X18E1 which are definitely hydraulic.
Arnold Clarke would have only done the service if it was due......but naturally they would have checked it over (hopefully)!

Sponsored Links
they told me that they had to do it wether or not and the oil was clean at the time i inspected it. don't know about the fillter. i changed the air filter to try to improve fuel as it was well grubby and it worked. for my own mind i will do the filter and oil. what do you think of comma oil?

Comma is good stuff so use it with confidence. I use Millers but I get that discounted from my local factors - again, use the correct viscosity!
I've never known a main dealer do any servicing work outside of the schedule, especially if the service book is stamped.....but I've known the stamp to have been 'borrowed'!

guess what?as i explained in another post, there are no stamps at all. i think i have been ripped off. i was told to pay £100 deposit so the car could be shipped from jock land to s-o-t and was not given propper time to check things. but for this i blame myself. i should have known better. please check out my other posts on the zaff.

Difficult one Chris - there are no stamps in any of my car books either, but all oils are changed at 6k irrespective.
Arnold Clarke will have your car service on record if it was originally supplied by them, but if it came in via the trade you'll never find out.
If it was originally a Motability vehicle, then it will have been done.
This in no way means that you've bought a pup, mind.

by the way, the first owner turned out to be camden corparate fleet services who leased it to provincial securities of leister. i was only told about the second owner who lived in jock land

Hi Chris, your Zaf most likely has the Z18XE engine. I have 2 Astras with this same engine and in colder weather I also get a very short rattle from the head. Its not done any harm in 4 years and I change the oil every 6-7k (Magnatec for preference).
If the car isn't running oddly or smoking more than normal then I wouldn't worry too much about it, Vx and Ford engines tend to be a bit more rattly than their "continental" counterparts.

Sponsored Links
Back