Zanussi FL1084

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Folks, I have a Zanussi FL1084 washing machine which has started acting up. The programme selector fails to click round after each part of it's cycle. You can hear it ticking away, then there's a CLICK, but the dial doesn't move round. You have to click it round by hand. Plus the water is stone cold, it doesn't heat up at all.
Is it fit for the bin or is there an obvious problem that can be easily fixed?

Thanks for any ideas.

Sponsored Links
If you have a multimeter check the heater element resistance, it should be around 25 - 30 ohms. Your machine has a split case & you'll need to remove the rear half of it to access the heater terminals.

Thanks for your reply, I removed the heater element, it looked ok and resistance was 23 ohms. fitted it back in and set the machine to programme C. it took about 30 seconds to start, as it was filling up the water again was stone cold and i checked the voltage at the heater terminals and it was 0 volts, so no supply to the heater.

Any other ideas?

Post the machine PNC number & if possible a good photo of the control panel.
In the meantime (& in the absence of the above information) did you notice an NTC mounted in the heater element? It is a silver cylindrical probe about 2 - 3 cm long & 1cm in diameter with a plug connection. If there isn't one look just above the heater for a thermostat in the back of the tub. Whichever you find measure it with a multimeter & post the results. You also ought to check the wiring from the heater & NTC/thermostat for continuity back to the pcb. A heater element with a poor insulation resistance can cause problems similar to what you describe, however to check that would require a 500v megger. In the very worst event the heater relay on the pcb is bad, which means a new pcb. Let me know what you find.

Sponsored Links
Hi Zipper, machine info: Prod No 914780083. Type P6296304.
Ser No 45001593.
Wiring looks and test ok. There is what i think is 2 thermostats, a black one and a grey one (see photo).The black one has 2 terminals, checked continuity and getting a circuit. The grey one has 3 terminals, again checked continuity and getting a circuit between the top and middle terminals and nothing to the bottom one.
All photos in MY Images. Thanks for helping.

I have had another look at the grey thermostat. Is the 3 terminals 1 common, 1 N/O contact and 1 N/C contact? i sat the thermostat in some hot water and heard the bi-metal strip click but i got a circuit between the same 2 terminals as when it was cold.

Faulty thermostat?

I can't find any data at all on the 30/60C thermostat. But one thing did occur to me...There is only 1 heater relay on the pcb. And we know that the 90C thermostat is good...so before ordering a 30/60 I suggest you try a 90C wash to exclude possible heater relay failure. If it heats on a 90C program then the only possible culprit is the 30/60C thermostat. At least that's what I'm hoping :D

Looks like the heater relay is faulty. Set the programme to B (90C) started to fill up, NO voltage to the heater. Once filled up the drum started to turn, still no voltage to the heater. Programmer ticking and clicking away but not moving round towards C. STUCK. Just doing the same thing over and over.

The machine's about 10 yrs old. I think i'd rather put the repair costs towards a new one.

Really appreciate your help. Thanks again

Well...at 10 years old it has done its job very well indeed. I agree...it is probably time to invest in a new one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back