Zanussi ZOB383x fan oven tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

RCD trips when rotary switch gets to "cooking" stages i.e. through the "light on" step.

I'm guessing that means an element has failed?

If element, there are two elements listed online as spares; a bottom element, and a coiled-looking element. Does that seem correct?

Finally, if it does have two elements, how can I tell whether it's the bottom element, the coiled one, both, or something else?

TIA :)

Sponsored Links
On the oven control knob, there will be a number of settings.
From those settings there will be one that will do top element only and another that only operates the bottom element. You can eliminate which element is faulty by trying each.
Does the fan work?

You could also test the elements, using continuity across the two pins of the element, that would require a two pole continuity meter and undoing stuff!

Cheers PBoD :)

Affirmed my thoughts on "reset the RCD; turn the dial; repeat" option.
Will have a mooch when back from London (watch out for congestion / toll charges!)

Yes Try each option, selecting the setting with both top and bottom element will not help much.
The fav is one of the elements. If either setting trips RCD, you can then double check by removing the back of oven. Taking off the contacts of the two live pins of the element and test for continuity (isolate electrics first though) across the pins.
An open circuit will indicate faulty element!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Right,

Tested both elements - 26 ohms (fan), and 48 ohms (bottom). No apparent earth leakage.

Reset clock.

Reassembled, and tried the oven again before I put the covers back on. Appeared to trip when temp knob turned.
Put covers back on, and put oven back into unit.

So, went through the switching process - turning knob anticlockwise through

OFF - oven lamp - top&bottom cooking -top cooking - bottom cooking - mid-grill cooking - full-grill cooking - grill and fan cooking - fan cooking - defrost - OFF

At each step, turned the temp from 0 to 250 and back down again.

Not a single trip.

Baffled........

Not that we can recall. Just tripped on switch on.
Will have to see if it pops again, and note the conditions.

Tripped again tonight.

Fan oven, 100deg (to warm the takeaway), tripped after about ten minutes.

One of the elements failed, or something like the thermostat?

Sometimes it does take a temperature rise for the element to become faulty.
When it cools down it can then be used again until heat is applied to it again.
Do as before and get whether it happens with top or bottom element.

Will do, added to list of jobs for after work!

I hope it's not the bottom element, because it's four times the cost, and I can't see how to get it out without tearing the insulation.

Will do, added to list of jobs for after work!

I hope it's not the bottom element, because it's four times the cost, and I can't see how to get it out without tearing the insulation.
It is always the most expensive and tricky one that needs replacing:mad:

Right....

Set the oven selector to bottom-element-only, and turned the temp to 150 C. And waited.
Oven got hot, and I left it for about ten minutes like that. Then, leaving the selector switch alone, I turned down the temp. knob. Which tripped the RCD.

Reset the RCD.......

Set the selector to top element only (temp knob was still on zero), and reset the clock.
As soon as the clock went "live", this tripped the RCD again.

Has this narrowed it down any?

I'd try it again, but not until I've sent this!

OK....

let it all cool down.

Running the fan oven setting now, although I do not know whether that sects the circular element alone, or the bottom one as well.

Given it has tripped on solely-bottom-element, and fan-cooking, i'm guessing some problem with the temp control side of things?

We wait.........

What happens if you put temp on zero, and selector to off, but with clock set?
Go through the selection options without temp set and then with temp set.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back