Zebra striping on oak worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We bought an Ikea oak worktop, and it's a great piece of wood (well, it's lots of little pieces of wood working as a team). It arrived with whatever finish they use in the factory, it's then been topped up with a number of thin coats of Osmo Hard Wax oil. This looks good and works well, beading up water as you would expect. There were a couple of minor spills earlier on, so a little bit of sanding and reapplication was needed, but once done you couldn't tell where they were.

But I've noticed more and more patches of zebra striping (see pics), or sometimes it's not even stripes going across the grain, it's small patches where it looks like the dark surface has been removed and a lighter yellower surface is exposed. It's isolated to individual staves, so I don't think it's due to spills/sanding as surely that would affect a wider area.

Should it be behaving like this? The flash on the camera makes it look worse than it is, but it's noticeable and seems to be affecting more areas of the worktop.

View media item 85791 View media item 85792 View media item 85793 View media item 85794

Sponsored Links
It's a natural material. Unless you very carefully match grain and colour, which isn't going to happen with mass produced worktops, then you will get all sorts of odd matches. The "stripe" on the second shot looks like it might be a bit of sapwood included for example. It's a lighter colour. generally hard to tell before finishing. Various pieces and cuts will darken at different rates too.

The staves which show the zebra like markings, have been "quarter sawn" Nothing to worry about at all. ;) ;)

Do you know, I never even gave the quarter sawn "flash" a thought! :)
That gave me a laugh at myself!

Sponsored Links
So no amount of spilling/sanding/oiling will bring out these marks elsewhere, or make the existing ones worse?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back