Zinc roof and cedar soffit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on having a zinc roof and facia and would like a cedar soffit. I understand that rain water run off from cedar can have an adverse reaction on zinc.

Can anyone tell me it a cedar soffit will be ok as I assume the run off will not be significant as it will be below the zinc roof and fascia?

Sponsored Links
Carwarden, hi

Zink is a somewhat unusual choice of roofing material now? it seems to have gone out of fashion, I think mostly because of the corrosion problems associated with Zink.

As for the Zink / Cedar mix? suggest you use Google, there is some information from USA based roofing sites which I find confusing??

Ken.

No problem with this configuration and will look bang on trend.
The guy above must have been living in a cave for the past 25 years......

I've been installing zinc roofs everyday for the past 17 years and have plenty of work ahead of me.

But your zinc is coated isn't it? Maybe Ken was thinking of bare zinc.

Sponsored Links
hardmetalking, hi

For my sins, I work as as an Insurance claims surveyor, I look at such things as Subsidence, Floods, and loads and loads of storm claims, never mind the Fires and Impact claims, Etc. Etc.

In the past 3/5/7+++ YEARS! I have never had to look at or seen a Zinc Roof??? they simply do not seem to exist up here.

Historically, Zinc appears to be considered as a poor relative to either Lead or similar? or that just may be up here in the far frozen north? there is a distinct lack of Zinc roofs??? It is most certainly not the first covering of preference?? Either coated or not??

Ken.

Let me educate you Ken.....
There is evidence that the Romans started installing zinc to roofs. At the turn of the century (1900) the powers that be decided Paris needed to double its population but they had run out of land. The best viable option was to add an extra storey to every building in the city. Without causing extra work to the foundations they needed a lightweight solution, timber and zinc was decided. If you look at an aerial shot of today's Paris you will see that 90% of the roofs are covered it zinc.
Zinc out performs lead in every department. It has always been seen as a lead replacement rather than an alternative. Lead is a dirty material, toxic to humans and the environment. It will eventually be banned such as asbestos etc.
We are now replacing church lead roofs with zinc. The only zinc roof I have replaced was 124years old and had been installed badly.
It is only the recent introduction of widely used hard woods that have seen adverse affects on zinc. Oak, cedar, cherry woods contain natural oils which leech over 6 months when installed. It's these oils which can discolour and or eat into the zinc material. If you know the facts the building can be designed to incorporate both materials without compromise to either material.
Unfortunately it's dinosaurs within the construction industry that believe lead has always been used and we should continue to do so. The amount of poor lead work I have seen over the years is astonishing. I would guess that 80% of the jobs I have seen haven't been completed by the book and this will only add weight to the poor performance of a dated material.
I have been a zinc roofer from the age of 18 and this is all I have ever done. It's a growing industry will a declining labour pool. Times are good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back