Zinsser BIN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anybody had trouble with this stuff or is it just me? I used it to cover a water stain on a ceiling and it took about 5 coats of emulsion to cover! I've also used it over stained/varnished woodwork and found that it chips very easily. What do others use?

Sponsored Links
I find the bullseye 123 (waterborne) won't cover water stains, unless like you found, you give it 3/4 coats. I found it not too bad on varnish/ melamine though it takes 8 days to achieve full scratchability (so a rep said). On water stains I tend to use solvent based undercoat, thinned a little (cheap and sure to work). If Im pushed and need to finish that day I will use the shellac based bin which I find works well and dries whithin the hour. I also find the shellac based better on varnish type work.

Good luck..

What alternatives are there for painting over stain or varnish, both for adhesion and bleeding? I'm not going to be using the BIN again I just don't like the stuff. I've heard the Dulux supergrip isn't meant to go over varnish?? Anything else out there?

Found it good, never used the water based one though... this is the one I have used, http://www.trade1st.co.uk/productdetail/Zinsser/100.aspx

its a good primer and stick to almost anything... my foam rollers always fall to bits though! I like it.... not cheap though.

I have also like stated used a thinned down brilliant white undercoat.

Darren

Sponsored Links
the water based one is crap!! always go for the oil based . i currently have contracts for a few bars wher i live. 2 off them have low ceilings and get splashed with all sorts of ****, even if you wash the stains off emulsion wont cover. two coats or the oil based stain-block (can be tinted to near enough colour) and two coats of emo on top will always cover any stains or stain-block.
if you want a primer for any varnished or any other non friendly paintable areas i strongly recommend permoglaze 'maxi-gripp'. give the area a good rub down then applt two coats of maxi-gripp, then finish as required. this can even be used as a primer for ceramic tiles, so really does the biss

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back