Zone alarm alerts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am totally fed up of Zone Alarm and its continous alerts that it is throwing up for you to allow access. Is there anyway of stopping this or do I need to uninstall and use a different program.

Every 2 minutes is past a joke!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Sponsored Links
Do you tick the box to "Remember this answer the next time"?

Are you doing a lot of downloading?

Did you notice which programs it asking for permission to allow?

Try another firewall, Comodo Firewall is the best free one.
Note! Comodo Firewall is now part of Comodo Internet Security Suite = Comodo AntiVirus + Comodo Firewall, but you can install just the firewall if you use a different AntiVirus.

The Defense+ nags a bit whilst learning but is soon up to scratch with what to allow. You set it to 'Clean PC' and it soon protects you.
If you get fed up with it just disable it.

dave

I have been suffering similar problems with ZA, Bahco. Three weeks back it just stopped me accessing the web. So I suspended it and replaced it with the Windows Firewall and reconnected with no problem. Decided to delete it then re-download. This seemed to work for a few days then yesterday (after booting-up) it kept pushing out alerts: Avast, AVG, Ad-Aware and s*dding Adobe. In a vain attempt to cease the irritation I ticked the DENY box. Probably due to this web access was denied. Then again shut it down and all was well.

I have been happy with ZA for some years but given these recent occurrences I think I'll take dave.m's suggestion and give Commodo a try.

Why have you got Avast running and AVG running?? You should only have one antivirus running at once. I'd remove AVG.

If its ease of use you want with security to match comodo you should try PCTools Firewall.

Sponsored Links
I also recommend that you get rid of AVG if you have Avast.

Another note, get rid of Adobe Reader and install thye free Foxit Reader the one on the left of the page. Uses next to no resources compared with Adobe and does exactly the same job. It will open all your PDF documents just the same.

dave

Daozen & dave.m: I had SS&D, AVG, Windows Def and AD-Aware installed together with absolutely no problem for ages. Just over a couple of years ago the laptop got a virus – can’t remember what it was but it was severe. None of the prevailing amoury was able to detect the problem so I was recommended to try using Avast which I did and it worked perfectly. Then this laptop was stolen and was replaced and, similarly, the software was installed on the new machine with, seemingly, no conflict. Both the previous and current machines are Dell models running XP (Home on prev; Pro on current). My folks have also have a Dell laptop running with similar stuff – never been a sniff of a problem.

My partner uses a Sony Vaio under XP Pro and this machine objected to any more than one of the anti-spyware & anti-virus, as did her previous Compac. I seemed to remember reading on the Dell forums a while ago that Dell stuff is more resilient to using more than one of the above but currently unable to find a link.

Obvious really, but I should point out here that I never run any of this stuff concurrently.

Further to your recommendations I am going to remove AVG. Thanks for the Foxit Reader link, dave. I shall go for that as Adobe is a pain.

C-M,

The reason for only having one antivirus program is that usually when you boot up it starts and offers reat-time protection all the time your computer is running, and to have two running is BAD news. They conflict with each other and can eventually both miss a virus, as well as causing other problems.

I used to say you can have two but only have one running, but people misread that as only having one doing a scan, and they had both trying to do real-time protection at once.
It became easier to save problems to say you should only have one antivirus program installed, to prevent the misunderstanding about running in the background.

If you have any probs removing AVG you can use the AVG Remover the top one in the list.

dave

Sorry Dave, a bit late in replying but I have now ditched the AVG further to your recommendations. Cheers. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back