Zoning areas with a combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all hope someone can shed some light on my problem for me, basically i need to replace an old conventional boiler with a combi but to zone off upstairs from downstairs on the heating as it may get turned into 2 different living areas at a later date so would also need a room stat an each zoned area, has anyone done this or know best way to acheive this? thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi all hope someone can shed some light on my problem for me, basically i need to replace an old conventional boiler with a combi but to zone off upstairs from downstairs on the heating as it may get turned into 2 different living areas at a later date so would also need a room stat an each zoned area, has anyone done this or know best way to acheive this? thanks in advance

Simple, two 2 port zone valves and a two channel programmer with 2 room stats.

Yes - two 2-two port valves with one controlling a the downstairs circuit and the other controlling the upstairs circuit. Control via a Honeywell 9500C (or similar) and a couple of thermostats (RF if you don't want to hardwire them).

Edit - need to type faster :LOL: :LOL:

Cheers for that, so pretty much just as s plan? thought it may have been a bit more complicated due to the 2 room stats, so would i wire in first stat as a stat then second as cyl stat?

Sponsored Links
Remember OP , some combis have volt free terminals , which do not like voltage being applied ?? be careful what you do with the grey & orange wires ??? read the MI's first !! :)

How long have you worked ( or been a slave) for B.G petit pablo , must admit some of you fellas (all ) get a bit of a rough ride at times on this forum , mention British gas or some one who works for Ideal & all hell breaks loose ( some times) ??

the most important thing that has to be considered. is that you have to have a dedicated circuit for each floor to be zoned.so a bit of pipework alteration could be on the books.

How long have you worked ( or been a slave) for B.G petit pablo , must admit some of you fellas (all ) get a bit of a rough ride at times on this forum , mention British gas or some one who works for Ideal & all hell breaks loose ( some times) ??
just over 4 years now. 1 of those spent training.
BG gets a decent amount of grief on this forum but CC is generally ok now.

Have used three port valve too to create two zones on a combi. No need for bypass when pump over-runs.

Have used three port valve too to create two zones on a combi. No need for bypass when pump over-runs.

I did that in a barn conversion a few years back. It worked wery well. :D

From the other thread on that, half the forum dont know how to do that !

To the OP. Think first about what you want to do.

Two zones would give different times and temperatures and savings!

But a single combi boiler is not at all suitable for supplying hot water to two different flats.

There is a solution though and that is to add a third zone to heat a cylinder for one of the flats with the combi supplying HW to the other!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back