Zoning areas with a combi

There is a solution though and that is to add a third zone to heat a cylinder for one of the flats with the combi supplying HW to the other!

Tony
Tony, would that happen to involve a 3-port valve by any chance? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
To answer an earlier question, with multiple 2 port valves, you connect the end switches in parallel and they can be used volt-free - it is the grey and orange wires.

Have used three port valve too to create two zones on a combi. No need for bypass when pump over-runs.

From the other thread on that, half the forum dont know how to do that !
Tony
Your speaking on behalf of an awful lot of heating engineers Tony. :eek:

Its easy enough to do as long as the Combi Boiler is happy with the wiring. Ive seen it in another property aswell - in a village in Hertfordshire or Bedfordshire. :oops: The customer had 2 companies in before for me who could not work out why half the house was cold, whilst the other half was toasty. All I had to do was change the faulty synchron motor and all was well. Maybe ChrisR installed it. ;) It was in a place called Studham.

P46.

Sponsored Links
From the other thread on that, half the forum dont know how to do that !

Tony let the boiler be a Baxi 105e, programmer is Danfoss FP715Si and MV the Honeywell midposition valve. What wires would you put where to make the system work. Ignore thermostats as it will be assumed the stats are correctly wired to operate the motorised valve to heat the zone that is calling

Thanks for all replies, no will not be wiring myself, as you can prob tell me and wiring dont mix but, just trying to get round how exactly it would work as never come across it before, another point would also be, if room stats are in different flats and wired into only one programmer then only one flat would be able to access it to change timer, is there not another way I.e 2 prograamble room stats etc or would that just not work?

Fit a programmable room thermostat in each flat, and wire the mid-position valve as per the wiring diagram supplied with it. The prog stat controlling the B port on the valve will need ON and OFF wires to the valve.

There is a wiring diagram on the Honeywell website, also there's an excellent description of how they work.

Remember OP , some combis have volt free terminals , which do not like voltage being applied ?? be careful what you do with the grey & orange wires ??? read the MI's first !! :)

If you don't connect the grey to live, which in this case isn't needed to power a pump or boiler through the orange, surely this isn't a problem?

If a bypass is fitted, orange and grey aren't necessarily needed anyway.

just to have my say

my combi supplies four heating zones
each floor with prog/stats each operating its own 2port zone valve,each firing the boiler using volt free as per one of mysterymans earlier posts

How long have you worked ( or been a slave) for B.G petit pablo , must admit some of you fellas (all ) get a bit of a rough ride at times on this forum , mention British gas or some one who works for Ideal & all hell breaks loose ( some times) ??
just over 4 years now. 1 of those spent training.
BG gets a decent amount of grief on this forum but CC is generally ok now.

Aye, that's because all the CPSs & CC/CCCs got us time-served guys banned from the combustion chamber.

If it is 2 x 2 port zone valves & low volt switching on the combi(which is the most common) you can feed the grey wire via the combi room stat connection & use the orange as the Sw/L at the combi. As MM explained above.

Not really a job for a DaftyDIY'er though.

As in other recent posts, 2 port valves have volt free end switches on the grey and orange wires.

3 port mid-position valves use the grey wire to move to CH only, and feed the boiler from the orange. This is obviously NOT VOLT FREE.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back