ADT unable to remote reset, have to do it in person??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Menvier TS800 alarm system, monitired by ADT. Recently the cleaner accidently set it off and I couldn't reset by typing in response codes.

ADT sent an engineer, who typed in a few numbers, all done. Charged me £150 for the visit.

Am I being ripped off? or is it genuinely not posisble to remotely reset in some cases?

I can't do anything about it but it would be nice to know if I should get a new system/service company!

Sponsored Links
sorry but thats what happens with Aunt Daisy.

you and alot of other people are in the same boat to be honest.

there is an add on that can be connected to your panel, but unless you ask for it, they wont fit it!

its called a remote reset module.

we used to fit them all over the place before the firm moved over to Galaxy (as its built in)
and they work ok,

but being charged for a call out is something you will have to look up on your contract, are you paying for the `full monty` or just standard, service call and monitoring?

moving to another firm would be good, you would get a nice new shiny alarm with all new sensors and sirens. and no large multinational companies managment holidays to pay for out of your call out payments.

but it is really up to you,
you can continue to pay loads each month till doomsday for your old type security system,
or you can bite the bullet, get rid of the old firm and start again with a new one

its really upto you (and the time left on your present contract)

hope this helps

Oasis

oh and by the way i hate, and i mean hate Aunt Daisy!!!

Does it have an on-board keypad, or a small remote?

If it has a small remote, it would be better as mentioned to go with a local NSI/SSAIB company. Get it upgraded, its a mid 80's system, bet you dont have a mid 80's TV at home?

Once you have a new system they can be remote reset if need be, and it'll probably cost you half of what your paying now,

Pretty sure in user menu option 12 there is a anti code reset.

No need for an engineer to come out. If the abort went through and can be explained.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all, I too feel it's time to move on!

The unit has a keypad on the (only) box, and I have an old downloaded copy of a copy of a copy manual. I do not find it very user friendly and I am so scared of playing around & setting the alarm off! I shall read up on this option 12 & go seek some quotes for a new system.

Thanks again!

Local companies will reset over the phone though the big boys just want a call out. Where i used to work we used to get a lot of calls for engineers, Don't you just love the customers even the halfwited ones.

I was on one night and had a guys house go off, Burglary Alarm, Called site it was engaged then received Burglary Verified - signal from site, Phoned the site & guy answers give me his password - He said to me i have set the alarm but why is is going off because i am not a burglar. He thought it could tell the difference between him & intruder. Engineer called him and explained and gave engineer code to reset the confirmed alarm - So it can be done over the phone it just depends who you use.

I used to love some of the service calls we used to get from ****ed up customers, My PIR is bleeping, I don't think so, Yes it is, I want this alarm ripped out, I am cancelling, I will call an engineer for you - Engineer gets back to me turns out it was the blokes microwave

:LOL: :LOL:

I really wish people would get their facts right.
Local companies as well as the larger ones have a set of rules and regulations to work to, one of them is resets and remote resets.

A reset can be given under certain conditions and by any company not just a local or a national (obviously the contracting company).
Generally a unconfirmed signal with an abort. Most systems now allow this to be reset anyway.

From what you say your the one calling the clients after a code 3?
So do you work for an ARC or the alarm company as you dont call sites when on standby.

Whatever your job was your facts are incorrect.

I really wish people would get their facts right.
Local companies as well as the larger ones have a set of rules and regulations to work to, one of them is resets and remote resets.

A reset can be given under certain conditions and by any company not just a local or a national (obviously the contracting company).
Generally a unconfirmed signal with an abort. Most systems now allow this to be reset anyway.

From what you say your the one calling the clients after a code 3?
So do you work for an ARC or the alarm company as you dont call sites when on standby.

Whatever your job was your facts are incorrect.

No i used to work for an arc, i just pass calls to the duty engineer. We had the alarm companies phones out of hours. However i did notice that during sociable hours the engineer would attend site & reset for the customer and retrain them on the system which is good. Out of hours they would call customer and give them the engineer code over the phone

We used to do some remote resets over the phone

But most companies had it on engineer reset for confirmed,PA & Tamper

No i used to work for an arc, i just pass calls to the duty engineer. We had the alarm companies phones out of hours. However i did notice that during sociable hours the engineer would attend site & reset for the customer and retrain them on the system which is good. Out of hours they would call customer and give them the engineer code over the phone

We used to do some remote resets over the phone

But most companies had it on engineer reset for confirmed,PA & Tamper

Are you serious?
Your saying that engineer codes are given out, a sackable offence.

Eng reset is obligatory for a code 3 followed by a 7 and not remote. A site visit is needed.

Eng reset for others is down to the companys policy.

Are you sure your aware of the regs, because you just sound like a bored ARC employee or ex.

Yes engineer codes where given out over the phone for customer to reset the alarm. Most engineers from this said company did the same. The company is accredited by both inspectorates so should know better.

So your saying "Engineer" codes were given.
Can you be totally specific about this.

I am doubting some of your comments as you can tell, who for instance has accreditation with two bodies?
I`ll let you answer that, with a valid reason why.

Were you party to the phone calls? How can you substantiate the "engineer" codes were given?

I think your privy to some knowledge but not the facts. But feel free to disprove that suspicion.

I can not prove that the engineer code was given out as the only person that can prove that is the enginner looking at the log on the panel. But customers could set & unset the alarm after speaking to engineer. As it would send open & close signals. I assumed if the panel said call alarm co engineer reset required, the user could not set the system without the engineer code being entered first.

It is strange that this company is registered with two inspecotrates but they are. Waste of money having two isnt it. Its usually one or the other.

So with all your experience ( none) with alarm panels you state engineers break conditions of contract of employment. Rules and regulations which can be enforced if needed.

Are we clear on this?

You state they "Give out engineer codes", or did I miss something?

So when you did a reset at the ARC what did you do? Give out an "engineers code"? You knew all the "engineer codes" from every company using the ARCs services?

This might sound a bit pedantic, but it is nice to see the correct information given on a public forum.
Yours is totally incorrect ( I will agree some might do this to AVOID going out) and they need to be weeded out of the industry anyway.
However your blanket assumption still needs addressing.

So how did you do a reset over the phone?

So with all your experience ( none) with alarm panels you state engineers break conditions of contract of employment. Rules and regulations which can be enforced if needed.

Are we clear on this?

You state they "Give out engineer codes", or did I miss something?

So when you did a reset at the ARC what did you do? Give out an "engineers code"? You knew all the "engineer codes" from every company using the ARCs services?

This might sound a bit pedantic, but it is nice to see the correct information given on a public forum.
Yours is totally incorrect ( I will agree some might do this to AVOID going out) and they need to be weeded out of the industry anyway.
However your blanket assumption still needs addressing.

So how did you do a reset over the phone?

We never had access to engineer codes as there was no need for us to know that information.

We only did remote resets over the phone, customer would call in we would ask for the number on the panel, i would type into the computer, the computer would then display me a number, they put the number in i tell them and that would reset the alarm. Failing that its an engineer callout

Not saying that all engineers dont go out just the odd ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back