Bother with wiring for security alarm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a small new build going up, and I am wondering whether we should bother putting in the wiring for a security alarm while it's easy to do it, or whether we should just use a wireless system. I'm not even sure we will put one in, at least not straight away, but am trying to think ahead a little to give us the option of a wired system if it has major advantages.

If it is worth it, is there a standard cabling for these sorts of system?

Sponsored Links
The cost of a reel of two of 8 core alarm cable and a hour or two of time to think where sensors will be needed and running the cable to those place is small compared with the potential problems wireless will have. The cable may even cost less than the first set of replacement batteries for the wireless system.

We've got a small new build going up, and I am wondering whether we should bother putting in the wiring for a security alarm while it's easy to do it, or whether we should just use a wireless system. I'm not even sure we will put one in, at least not straight away, but am trying to think ahead a little to give us the option of a wired system if it has major advantages.

If it is worth it, is there a standard cabling for these sorts of system?

YES Yes........do it now as it is a golden chance...you may never use it but you may decide fro whatever reason to get a alarm in then it will be a pain....go for a wired system and put the cable in its only a small cost

OK OK that's decided then :)

Out of interest, if not installing immediately, what is the best way to avoid having unsightly cable hanging out for ages? Could push the excess cable into the ceiling void above, but don't want the cable to disappear entirely, without easy access for retrieval (no loft even at first floor level). Is there a standard clip or something to prevent it disappearing, or is it a case improvising... ?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
improvising... ?
A very good word.

Don't forget, from EVERY alarm detection point back to the control panel position use individual cables (don't forget to mark them up) 8core would cover all bases, leaving spare cores for future use/repairs as may be required.

Don't run any of the alarm cables in parallel with mains cable other than for very short distances, crossover ok, but keeping away is better.

Don't run in trunking with anything else.

Europlex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back