BT NTE5 master socket entry colour codes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read that there are blue blue/white coming from the BT side of the master socket.
HOWEVER my partner has the top one (B?) mainly white with orange bands and the bottom one (A?) mainly orange with white bands.
What should be used on an NTE5 socket ? I know there are two types, one with metal terminals and one with the push in cable connectors.
I do not want any feedback on the consumer side. This only refers to the two wires on the BT side.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
blue white is the first pair, orange white is the second pair. likely the blues were used for another line, or have gone faulty and the engineer has used the oranges to carry the service.

Thank you for cajar that actually posted a proper reply.
Idiots that say 'it is nothing do do with yo'u are the equivalent of people that take their car to the manufacturer for repair or always call in a 'professional' to do DIY... OH I didn't notice (hint of sarcasm) the post was made by a DIYer. I'd hate to live in a worlds where we are not allowed to question things because it is someone else's job to know.
People that respond without knowing an answer really p..s me off so don't reply when you don't know an answer to my question. It wastes everybody's time.

Sponsored Links
the wires on BT's side are BT's concern not yours. :D

The electrons don't care what colour the wires are.
A perfectly correct statement.

If you don't like the truth find a forum where all the answers are b......t, you'll be happier there.

ps

As my wife says, "you always get one"

the point owaindiyer appears to be making is that you shouldn't draw any conclusions from the colours of the cable alone, which is true, as it can work fine on the second pair.

An ordinary phone line is carried by a pair of wires from the exchange to the master socket. These wires are usually twisted to reduce interference (though very old phone lines may be untwisted).

Phone cable usually has multiple pairs (some older cables may only have one) so it can carry multiple phone lines, to provide spares for if a cable fail, to allow it to be used for wiring after the master socket and so-on. Typically in a domestic environment phone cables will be 2-pair or 3-pair. You may also see 4-pair cat5 used for phone wiring sometimes.

Most but not all modern phone cable uses a system where each pair has a primary colour and a seconary colour. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/25-pair_color_code . In BT spec cable* each wire in a pair will have rings of it's partner colour. So the blue/white pair will have one wire which is blue with white rings and one wire which is white with blue rings.

One exception to the colour code mentioned above is BT dropwire (used for pole to house connections), that has orange and white as the first pair and green and black as the second pair and there are no rings. It's possible that someone has extended an incoming dropwire with internal cable and matched the colours rather than maching the pair numbers. It's also possible that cajar's suggestion that the first pair was bad or in use for something else is correct.

The polarity of a pair doesn't matter too much, theres a correct polarity but the vast majority of equipment doesn't care if it's reversed.

Your not supposed to mess with wiring prior to the master socket at all but if you do then make sure you put things back as you found them.

* Other cable types may have other indications of the partner colour, for example cat5 typically uses a stripe on the white wires and no partner colour indiciation on the coloured wires.

edit: fix broken link

Thanks plugwash and cajar. A comprehensive reply and completely understandable. Blue pair will be first choice and the ones we have in our house are the orange 'back up'. So nobody touches these ??? Don't be so naive you other guys, next minute you'll be saying that you always get a qualifies electrician in to do your kitchen wiring. Maybe you're made of money !

Again, thanks plugwash and cajar, I hope it helps other people too as some of the things on the 'net are not that comprehensive.

............................? Don't be so naive you other guys, next minute you'll be saying that you always get a qualifies electrician in to do your kitchen wiring. Maybe you're made of money !
I'm not made of money or stupid either, I am NOT a qualified electrician so I would always (and do) get one in.

Anyone who thinks they 'know it all' about electricity is an accident waiting to happen.

Idiots that say 'it is nothing do do with yo'u are the equivalent of people that take their car to the manufacturer for repair or always call in a 'professional' to do DIY
Actually that analogy is false.
While it is a CHOICE whether to do your own car servicing or DIY, technically it is not a choice to do anything with the supply side of your phone line.

It will certainly be in the small print of your supply contract. I think it's actually enshrined in law that you aren't allowed to fiddle with it - for historical reasons that go back to before privatisation. It is still a requirement that your internal "extension" wiring be connected by plug and socket - which is why the NTE5 was designed which meets that without having an obvious plug sticking out as used to be the correct way of connecting stuff.

But, back to the original question. It doesn't matter ! If the line is working then it makes no difference which pair got used or for what reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back