cable

Sponsored Links
You could but its not advisable, telephone cable is one solid core within the cable ( Its annoying to put into screw terminals as it snaps allot ) , alarm wire has stranded cores which makes it allot easier to put in the screw terminals, Solid core works best with telephone IDC terminals.

Assuming it's solid core cable then no. You would be better using proper stranded alarm cable.

If it's stranded phone cable, then it will probably be OK.

Assuming it's solid core cable then no. You would be better using proper stranded alarm cable.

NO, NO, NO

You very obviously don't know anything about alarm systems or "stranded phone cable"

Stranded alarm & stranded phone cables are completely different.

Oh I could go on, but I wont, suffice to to say, alarm cable for alarms, phone cable for phones - they do NOT mix.

Sponsored Links
I came across an alarm the other day that was fully wired with telephone wire, what a joke that was to work out what was what.

Alarm job = Stay away from the phone cable

Telephone job = Stay away from alarm cable

Will try and get a pic of the panel consisting of telephone wire.

Years ago there were alarms wired with all the cores the same colour.

Servicing was a bit more difficult but defeating them was far more difficult.

Trade secret.

The way I did it was a box with a battery and some resistors in series across the battery so there were a number of different voltages at the junctions between resistors. Attach each core to a different voltage and then at the other end find the pair with the largest voltage between them and use one of them, often the one connected directly to the negative of the battery as a reference to identify the others by the voltages on them.

NO, NO, NO

You very obviously don't know anything about alarm systems or "stranded phone cable"

Stranded alarm & stranded phone cables are completely different.

Oh I could go on, but I wont, suffice to to say, alarm cable for alarms, phone cable for phones - they do NOT mix.

What exactly is the difference then? I never said phone cable was ideal, but it will work at a push if needed.

Obviously the proper CW1308 twisted pair solid cable can't be used for alarms, but what's up with the cheapy general purpose wire that's sold in cheap phone extension kits, or even the flat stuff used for RJ11 connectors? I'm talking about the non-twisted pair stranded 4 core type. Apart from the colours, what's different to alarm cable?

And don't be so quick to put people down by saying I know 'nothing' about cables. I actually know a great deal about different cables, and need to for my job. If I didn't, there would be a lot of DIY'ers killing themselves and setting fire to houses etc etc.

Years ago there were alarms wired with all the cores the same colour.

Servicing was a bit more difficult but defeating them was far more difficult.

I concur, worked on quite a few where the circuits were all red singles, good job for the tone tester, for Grade 4 systems this should be mandated.

I actually know a great deal about different cables, and need to for my job.
Answered your own question then haven't you?

Obviously don't know about this then, do I?

So go on then, apart from the colours, twisted pairs (or lack of, as it may be), and whether it's ally or copper, what is the difference between them?

I'm genuinely interested now...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back