Can you convert monitored to unmonitored alarm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Moved into a new place with an alarm from what looks like 1950. Bakelite n all. Needs replacing.

Am considering whether having an external bellbox from the likes of ADT or SECOM is a good thing - any burglars wary of monitored alarms.

Anyway, these obviously have a monthly monitoring charge and a minimum contract.

But what happens after the contract is out? Can you use them in unmonitored mode if you stop paying the monthly fee, or do they just switch them off remotely until you start paying again?

Thanks,
Ben

Sponsored Links
I am sure they would just disable the monitoring.

If the alarm system was purchased and became yours after the contract, there is nothing stopping you using another firm to turn it into a bells only system.

Alernatively.....get a system installed, and pick up a bell box from ebay - search ebay for "Secom bell box" or "ADT bell box"!

Yeah, I had thought of this as an option too.

Am also considering installing a new one myself. Am pretty competent and work in security (admittedly CCTV) industry.

What would people recommend? Honeywell stuff always seems pretty reliable. What panels are best?

Ta.

we are insatllers of honeyweel galaxy kit, yep i rate it, fault wise, very few, operation is easy but it is pro kit, yes you can buy it off of ebay, but it wont come with fitting istructions.

the manuals are available, but you have to get the right one.

if you fit your own system, you could connect it up to a speech dialler, and this will send you a voice message if your alarm activates.
it is the cheap way of doing things, but it works ok

Oasis

Sponsored Links
Get a Galaxy G2-12 panel - about £30 delivered from Ebay. Add a keyprox keypad for about the same price. Then the normal standard additions of external sounder, battery, sensors, internal speaker...

If you want to self monitor there are cheap IP options for the Galaxy G2 series which offer benefits above generic dialers. You can always go the generic voice dialer or GSM dialer if you're happy with limited event details though.

Manuals are available all over the internet. There are a couple of variations, but the menus are pretty generic. If you get stuck there are plenty here who will help you out.

You'll end up with a pretty decent system for under £200 - opposed to spending £500 on an £X a month option.

Thanks for the advice folks!

Had a browse of a G-12 manual online. Seems straightforward enough to install and set up.

One question: am I likely to run into any issues where I would need a code (e.g. engineer code) that I would be unable to obtain because I'm not a pro?

Thanks

No, new panel comes with defaults as in manual. You set to what you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back