ESP Infinite Prime Alarm - any experience?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace most of the existing alarm system with a wireless one as the existing system is a mess.

I was looking at the ESP Infinite is it any good?

I want to use mostly wireless sensors but the existing bell box and existing front door magnet will remain hard wired.

I will need three PIRs and another door sensor, the maximum budget is £250. Any other suggestions and suppliers?

Also the unit must be hard wired into the mains as the current box is powered from the lighting circuit.

Sponsored Links
First of all get it off the lighting circuit.

And spend a bit more.

As alarm said, an increased budget would benefit you greatly.

Visonic Powermax and Scantronic I-ON are both superb systems.

Just a bit of info, the ESP Infinite Prime is no longer being produced, so later down the line parts may be difficult to obtain.

Not sure I have much leeway on the budget, I have now discounted the ESP as from my own research it seems support may be a problem.

I have been looking at the Honeywell Galazy 2 any reason to avoid that?

I do have some requirements in that the control box must also be able to take wired sensors and the bell box needs to be wired as I am using the existing one.

Ease of installation is a factor, but I have wired a few wired control panels before and I repair computers for a living so I am very technical I will have no problem learning how to program the alarm system. Just don't want a nightmare either.

I can't seem to find much information on the scantronic system. Is it a hybrid wired/wireless system?

Sponsored Links
Not sure I have much leeway on the budget, I have now discounted the ESP as from my own research it seems support may be a problem.

I have been looking at the Honeywell Galazy 2 any reason to avoid that?

I do have some requirements in that the control box must also be able to take wired sensors and the bell box needs to be wired as I am using the existing one.

Ease of installation is a factor, but I have wired a few wired control panels before and I repair computers for a living so I am very technical I will have no problem learning how to program the alarm system. Just don't want a nightmare either.

I can't seem to find much information on the scantronic system. Is it a hybrid wired/wireless system?

The galaxy seems to be a good system, can take a wireless expander using wired and wireless zones, including a wired bell. The manuals are comprensive, but it may be too much if your looking for an easy installation. It goes over your budget, however.
http://www.e-fireandsecurity.co.uk/...er-alarm-kit-with-pstn-pirs-and-keyprox/p4300

The scantronic is a wireless system, but can take wired or wireless bell's. Not sure about wired zones, but very flexible.
http://www.e-fireandsecurity.co.uk/scantronic-i-on16kit01-wireless-868mhz-alarm-kit/p4222#tdesc_7

The powermax could do what you wanted. two onboard zones (One used for tamper return for the bell) with a wired bell, but it has an onboard keypad. Can call you and even speak to you (no joke)
http://www.e-fireandsecurity.co.uk/visonic-powermax-new-version-wireless-intruder-alarm-kit-1/p221

Each have their own advantages. Do some googling and read some of the manuals - might help your decision making.

Thanks in terms of wiring it would be easier if the it didn't have a keypad. Simply because the existing control panel is in the all (Texacom Vertitas:cool: so all I would need to do is re-use the existing bell and mains wiring.

If I get what with an external pad it would mean making a new spur the power etc however that is not always a problem.

So for a like for like swap the Powermax might be the easier solution.

Having an external keypad does not require a fused spur.

No but if there was a remote keyboard, I would probably want to move the control panel else where in the house, so that would then need a new spur to that, and the existing spur would need to be disconnected.

This is the current setup:-

One control box in the hall, two PIRs and two door contacts.

I now need three PIRs (all to be wireless) the front door contact I will keep wired, and the back door I will use the wireless door contact.

For this reason it is easier if the control box stays in the hall BUT from a security point of view it is probably not the best idea.

I am thinking the Scantronic system might suit my needs better, I would then put the control box in a cupboard upstairs and run a wire to the keypad in the hall.

Visonic has a wireless keypad.

As before it can handle a wired bell/sounder. I use Texecom Odysseys with it. No power problems.
Or just use the PSU supplied sounder they make. Local PSU but wireless connectivity. Two way reporting, not the sh1te one way as used by others.

This way you could use the two onboard wired detection as well as the sounder.

The Visonic keypad appears to be an optional extra but looking at the installation guide I will probably go with that setup but move the control box upstairs into a cupboard. I will also buy the keypad as I don't like the idea of the key fobs being the only way of disarming other than using the control panel.

The house is a brick three bedroom terraced with a through lounge, I assume there shouldn't be any need to use any repeaters?

Finally the instructions suggest the output for the bell box is max 150ma, does anybody know what how much an old fashioned bell typical draws?

It is 450ma, but use the Texecom as I suggested in SCB mode.

Job done.

Fobs are fine, you dont have your name and address on your keys do you?

PS dont use your phone number or date of birth as a code.
Also avoid 1066, 1966. 1234 and 5678.............you wont believe the amount of people that use those.

So it seems there is no way of using the existing bell box with these wireless alarm panels then as they don't provide enough power to drive the old bell?

Did you misunderstand the above?

It provides enough to run a hard wired sounder.
If used as a SCB it could run more than a few.

Your question is more of a statement and incorrect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back