farm gate sensors / RF Reed Sensors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mate that is having 'issues at his farm.. and could do with a chime enabling when someone enters the property.. was thinking Reed contact on the gate.. but don't really want to have to do the dig.. are their sensors available with transmitter / receiver pairs that I can use with his existing system?

ps the current alarm doesn't support wireless / ricochet etc.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
what alarm system does he have?

Ricochet expansion pack can be added to an alarm system, subject to having spare zones etc.

Whats the gate made of?

Direct Line? Prob 50 - 70m or so.. clear line of sight too..

Sponsored Links
Sorry missed that, currently a Veritas R8 Panel I think.. been a while since I fitted it..

Gate is made from Wood, but fabrication etc isn't too much of a problem if you had an idea?

if you have some spare zones, ricochet expansion pack and a contact w in a weather proof box

Thanks will have a look at the price of a ricochet expansion pack and the price of a premier 24w or similar too.

If the gate is a typical farm gate you may not be able to fit the magnet and sensor close enough and small gate movements while still closed could mean false "gate open" signals. A more powerful magnet will allow for a wider gap between reed and magnet and reduce false alarms when the gate shudders in the wind.

I've done this previously by modifying a Honeywell DC800M, but most decent wireless alarm sensors or TX RX pairs would suit.

Place the sensor in watertight enclosure and connect it to a heavy duty roller door contact with the heavy duty magnet fitted to the gate.

What level of security is needed ?

If the wireless unit can be attacked and put out of action before the gate is opened then security against entry with criminal intent is close to zero.

If security is needed then fit the wireless unit some distance from the gate with concealed cables between gate sensor and the wireless unit. Fit a dummy wireless unit on the gate with a tamper contact to detect attacks on the dummy.

A break beam sensor across the entrance may be a better option for better security. There is a type that has a battery powered beam emitter that has a ( claimed) one to two year life on one set of batteries.

Its more for advance warning of someone entering the premises, so was just going to be set as a chime / GSM / CCTV integration potentially.

Break beam sensor is an interesting idea, any links to reasonably priced suggestions?

I am evaluating a break beam pair for an application related to traffic management. They seem so far to do what is written on the box

SMINN FC330 www.sminn.com

It is a single beam so will be prone to false alarms if birds or animals can break the beam.

Transmitter is battery powered and based on measured current the claim of a year or more battery life appears to be justified.

Receiver is wired and not wireless

Other suppliers of break beam systems

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back