Fascia replacement: removing phone line cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having my wooden fascias replaced with uPVC.
The phone line from the street comes in through the fascia. There is a fastening on the outside of the fascia.

Question: Am I allowed to remove the phone line cable in order to replace my fascias?
Or do I need to get BT involved?

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming that this is the black external cable from a pole to a clamp on your house?

If so this "belongs" as such to BT therefore it should be them removing and refixing it, however they will want to charge you as it's not a fault with their equipment you just need it moving.

If it were I, I'd just move it myself. It will only be screwed to the wall/fascia, be sure to affix the clamp back securely to the wall/fascia though as the cable can actually be quite heavy especially in the wind.

Or,
By sheer coincidence find it started ripping off the facia and get them to refix to a more suitable point whilst you 'repair' the facia.
;)

Better still get them to pay for the repaired fascia aswell!

Hang on didn't the fascia hit your car aswell when it was pulled off by their cable? :D

Sponsored Links
I would be extremely careful if you are going to try it yourself.
Unless the dropwire from the pole to your house is short (less than 15m) and does not cross any road you should be able to do it.
Over that length,i dont think you realise how much the cable weighs and what strain its under,it can easily pull you straight off a ladder.Thats why a BT engineer should fit it to the property first and then tension the cable up when he is strapped to the pole.
If the cable crosses a road then forget it,you could get into serious danger and serious repercussions if done wrong.
BT will charge,unless you get a bit sneaky (as others have said :eek: )

The cable is about 8 metres long. The pole is right next to my drive, so the cable only passes over my property.

The top half of the gable end of the house is tiled. So the cable *must* be attached to the fascia. There is no open brick work up at that level.
The cable meets the house at the apex of the gable end.

There is a box above the cable fixing point. Presumably a connection box?

I'm in a catch 22 situation. The cable can only be fixed to the fascia.
The cable can only be moved by BT.
But the fascia fitters will need the cable removed so they can fit the fascia!

Any chance of having BT and the fascia fitters on site on the same day? Zero, I would say.

In my limited experience, the facia fitters will bodge it for you - it's something they'll come across on a large proportion of their jobs.

You'll have to refit it to the new fascia. I assume the fitters are over boarding with plastic rather than stripping the wood off.
So you'll just need longer screws to get the right depth, the clamp needs to be into the wood behind not the plastic fascia (again weight).

If you call BT out, you'll need them twice, once to disconnect and then again to reconnect, due to the way BT work your be unlikely to,
1 get the same guy out,
2 get to eng out same day,
3 if you do get them out, they'll look at it suck there teeth and say something about health and safety. :eek:

Most of the BT line connections I've seen have been to the brickwork for strength but if you don't have any then that'll be why.

If you get BT out be prepared to pay the £127 call out, twice!

Easy...take the bracket off and just let it hang there as you say its not crossing a road or anybody elses property, let the facia guys fit the boards the screw it back over the facia ....as somebody said the guys doing the boards will proably do it anyway.

Easy...take the bracket off and just let it hang there as you say its not crossing a road or anybody elses property, let the facia guys fit the boards the screw it back over the facia ....as somebody said the guys doing the boards will proably do it anyway.

Seconded!
From what you have said you should n't have any problems.

Before taking it off tie some rope to that is tied down to something that keeps it in the same area, even a nail /screw in the wall below should do. This is it so that it can be kept connected or else you may need to disconnect it in the connection box.

If you do need to disconnect it then take good notes/photos of the connections -your not supposed to interfere with them.

Sounds like it is something the fitters can handle.

I am getting replacement fascia, not the cap-over-wood.
But I presume the cable anchor is screwed into a joist.

I'd better get up in the loft and look around.
I'll have a similar problem round the back with the TV aerial!

But I presume the cable anchor is screwed into a joist.
Doubt it. Normally just screwed to the fascia - which if wood, in good condition, and properly fitted, will be quite strong enough for the short span you have.

I am replacing wood with 16 mm uPVC.
Will that be strong enough to hold the cable?

if you put three decent screws in and don't tension the cable then yes probably. Otherwise, try to mount the bracket onto the brickwork with rawl plugs if you can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back