Incorrectly powered alarm? Scanteonic 9448+

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I have a 9448+ alarm which was professionally installed a few years ago. Ideally, I would now like to move the panel.

There are 2 questions I need to ask.

1. Should the alarm be on a fused spur? (it isn't)
2. What should be the spec for the mains wire?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if it was a pro install it would have had a fused connection unit,
so it wasa not a pro install

1st thing, call the installer, if you still know who it is, and you are speaking to them.

you will have to remove the supply cable from were it is powered from.

BUT
BEWARE OF LIVE MAINS, IT CAN KILL!!!!

if you are unsure how to do it, contact an electrical contractor, and or your prefered security company to ensure what is done is safe.

Oasis

Hi All.

I have a 9448+ alarm which was professionally installed a few years ago. Ideally, I would now like to move the panel.

There are 2 questions I need to ask.

1. Should the alarm be on a fused spur? (it isn't)
2. What should be the spec for the mains wire?

Thanks

Richardmlees,
The Alarm must be on a Unswitched fused spur protected with a 3AMP fuse.
The Spec of wire should be atleast 2.5mm Twin + Earth. (You could use flex cable if the distance from mains is not long)

Please do not attempt the moving of panel if you are not competent in Electrics.
Best of Luck

Thanks for the responses.

Just to clarify, I am unqualified, but do understand a lot of waht is involved. I have also had some bad experiences with some local firms of electricians. The control panel was swapped from an old key operated one to the 9448+ yet the alarm firm did not notice the missing fused spur. Not long before that, a full re-wire was undertaken, yet they did not fit the fused spur. The re-wire was inspected by the governing body (a long list of rectification work was produced) yet the inspector also failed to notice the lack of fused spur.

This is why I would rather actually move the panel myself and get it certified afterwards (asuming once I know what is involved with moving it, I am still comfortable in my ability to do so without frying myself or causing a fire at some point in the future!)

If the correct cable has been used to connect the panel to the consumer unit (it is the only item on that circuit and connects to a B6 breaker shared with the downstairs lighting ring) can I not just add a fused spur to the existing wiing then add another 12 inches or so of cable to connect the fused spur to the panel?

If I can just add the spur, then I have resolved the fusing issue and moved the panel and just need to resolve the certification. Happy days if I can:)

Sponsored Links
2.5mm twin and earth ? ? ? its an alarm not a ring main the panel only draws less than 500ma at 240 ac. 2.5mm would only be needed if the spur comes off the ring main to the fuse spur only.

Sparky, the existing wiring to the unit does not come from any other circuit, but runs straight to a B6 breaker in the CU.

In this case, would it be 2.5mm to the spur and something smaller from the spur to the control panel?

(As I mentioned in my last post, it's not the electricity that scares me, it's the idea of smouldering wires!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back