IP CCTV Recording options - NVR/NAS/Pc?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Trying to get my IP camera system up and running not sure what recording option to go for.

Im using 2x 2.0Mp Planet HM132 cameras. Planning on 5-6 cameras eventually.

I havent yet installed their software but i have the network setup internally and i can view/edit the cameras individually.

They come bundled with software (2ch pro or 64ch lite version) that allows multiple camera views in one window and recording options etc but im wondering if im best to install this onto a stand alone PC with a 2Tb 24/7 standard HDD and tuck it away somewhere or is best to go for an NVR or NAS solution?

I already have the bits to put together a PC, im guessing an NVR is just a stripped out PC running specifc software? I see a lot of them run Linux.

Is it possible to build an NVR from PC parts? No experience of Linux but happy to give it bash. Any benefits of an NVR vs Pc, mainly looking at power consumption.

How does NAS work with cameras? Ive done a bit of reading and seen posts where you have to pay a licence fee to record cameras to your NAS!?

Thanks for an help

Neil

Sponsored Links
NAS is a vague term. It means storage on a network and that can manifest itself in many different ways. Typically it's a box that talks various network storage protcols (SMB, NFS, AppleTalk, FTP, etc, etc). So it's basically a PC with custom hardware and software designed for storage. The home NAS system you get are typically a small ARM based computer in a case with space for a couple of hard disks and a custom cut-down Linux OS with a custom interface. If you're going the homebrew route, I would buy a NAS box. They are really cheap these days and being dedicated to what they do are likely to be more reliable then using a PC. Just make sure that the protocol that the camera is going to use is supported by the NAS. My guess is that it will be FTP or maybe SMB/CIFS too but don't hold me to that!

Im doing a similar thing, Could you "ekmdgrf" recommend a NAS box, That is also wireless.

Thanks excited.

I'm not massively familiar with the range and haven't looked for a while either. I personally have a DLink DNS-320L, which will take two SATA disks but isn't wireless (although you could get a wired/wireless adapter). I'd think about the features that you want and then have a look what Amazon/eBuyer/etc are selling. Maybe also take a look at the manufactuers websites to see if they have other models that the resellers haven't got listed and then Google for them to see if you can find someone selling them. The reviews on eBuyer are usually quite good and will give you an idea of any potential pitfalls.

I'd probably caution against using wireless as it's not the most reliable and it would be most annoying if it fell over when you most needed to be recording something.

I'd just echo again my previous comments to make sure that any box you buy supports at least one of the protocols that your camera does!

Sponsored Links
I'd probably caution against using wireless as it's not the most reliable and it would be most annoying if it fell over when you most needed to be recording something.

Wireless linked CCTV can be intentionally disrupted when "necessary".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back