Mains bell/sounder in conjunction with PIR floodlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a remote property that I've fully alarmed but I now am turning my attention to exterior PIR floodlighting. When particular lights are triggered I want them also to trigger an alarm bell/sounder for two reasons.

1. To let me know that someone is where they should not be.

2. To concern the person entering the area that their presence may have been noted.

Please can someone suggest a small mains operated external usage bell/sounder that I can connect into the PIR circuit of a security light.

Many thanks

Richard

Sponsored Links
They will know they have been detected when the light comes on so the bell is not going to have that much effect on them.

You could use almost any 12 volt bell supplied with 12 volt from a transformer that is supplied with its mains from the switched live of the PIR.

More effective as a deterrent would be for the bell to sound immediately and a time delay relay switches on the lights a few seconds after the bell starts ringing. It would look like some one had heard the bell and then turned on the lights to see who was there.

Thanks for your suggestion. I had the local police security person here yesterday to look at our security arrangements and was advised that having a light/s coming on was no deterrent especially as we are very remote here and the house is 100 yards from where the office building is that needs protection. They said that combinning a bell or siren with the light would be far more effective.

This building is just off a point where the public have access due to a council road and a footpath.

Cheers

Richard

even better would have been a optex vx402 rec with voice warning and external horn speaker slaved to a floodlight

Sponsored Links
Are there any neighbours that would get annoyed each time a rabbit, fox or leaves are blowing around?

Nearest neighbour is about 3/4 mile away. I very much doubt that these things would set off the alarm as there is a wire fence surrounding the area.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks I will look into the suggestion of Optex vx402 rec with voice warning and external horn speaker slaved to a floodlight, but it sounds expensive!

Cheers

Richard

Thanks I will look into the suggestion of Optex vx402 rec with voice warning and external horn speaker slaved to a floodlight, but it sounds expensive!

Cheers

Richard
But, they work extremely well. Record your own message as well.

Something like 'If you are hearing this you have already been video recorded'

best things about the vx402 are you can connect a slave device e.g set of beams you have a output to connect to other items eg lights, alarm panel and a speaker out for a remote speaker. price ! buy cheap dont expect it to last long or be any good.

Cheers

Richard
But, they work extremely well. Record your own message as well.

Something like 'If you are hearing this you have already been video recorded'

I've often found recording a message like "This is (insert alarm company name), you are being viewed live by CCTV operator. Police have been informed of your description."

I know it sounds cheesy but you'd be surprised how dim people are, just putting doubt in their mind is often enough.

My set-up makes use of a internal buzzer which alerts me when a passive/flood detects potential intruders. A relay activates the cameras and overrides the passive, allowing the floods to stay on when the cameras are recording. You could always try a 240V siren if it's noise you want.

Thanks for sharing. As regards a siren I already have a Masterblaster installed both inside the premises and outside so I think that side of thaings is well catered for <G> What I'm now attempting to do is to put off any would be intruder to actually intrude and set everthing off. Lights coupled with a noise of some sort and perhaps a recorded message would seem to be one solution.

Cheers

Richard

Lights being of much use are a fallacy. Especially in your situation at 'silly o clock' in the morning, without an awake security guard all they are is help to anyone who should not be there.

Yes I totally agree with you...see my earlier comment and that of our local police security person.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks for your suggestion. I had the local police security person here yesterday to look at our security arrangements and was advised that having a light/s coming on was no deterrent especially as we are very remote here and the house is 100 yards from where the office building is that needs protection. They said that combinning a bell or siren with the light would be far more effective.

This building is just off a point where the public have access due to a council road and a footpath.

Cheers

Richard
Maybe he did say that. But as Bernard explained. You have the logic wrong way round. Bells first, followed by the light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back