Old BT wiring to master socket. 8 colours???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a house that looks like the phone line has been chewed and spat out.
Into the house is an 8 cable line. Colours are all solid:
Blue
Brown
Black
Grey
White
Orange
Green
Red

The white and orange were connected to an oval shaped terminal block with a screw in the middle. That's it.
I have bought an MK master socket with capacitor and wonder if any of you know which ones connect to each of the 6 terminals.
I know that BT should do it but if it's a case of connecting them using the special forked tool that I have, I am not giving BT £150 for 5 minutes work.

Sponsored Links
Assuming you've connected the orange white to the socket, don't connect any of the others, that's it. If it doesn't work call BT as there's nothing more you can do.

edit orange white are connected to 2 and 5 if you haven't already connected them.

I know that BT should do it but if it's a case of connecting them using the special forked tool that I have, I am not giving BT £150 for 5 minutes work.
It is a bit more than that, the cable and the connector have to be compatible. If the wires in the incoming cable are not suitable for the IDC connectors then the connection may deteriorate over time becoming noisy and maybe failing.

Some types of cable will not connect in IDC because

[1] the copper in the wire is too hard and the connector cannot cut into it to make the connection gas tight ( immune to corrosion from oxygen in the air ) For these cables gel filled connectors have to be used or screw down terminals.

[2] the insulation is too thick and prevents the connection being made properly.

Very often BT will fit a NTE5 ( master socket ) free of charge as it makes it easier for them if there is ever a fault reported on the line.

Sponsored Links
That's a four pair cable,orange/white, blue/brown,red/slate and green /black.you only need one of the pairs connected and in this case it seems to be orange and white which should go to a and b or 2 and 5 depending on your master socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back