One for the BT broadband experts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a few issues with slow broadband speed and have carried out the speed test at bt.speedtest.com and when that records a slow result (at times around 400 on a 6mb connection it goes on to offer further tests.

This is my problem it instructs you to set the user name to bt_test_user@isp however everytime I do this I get a 'Firefox cannot find server' error.

BT are saying they want the results of this test to progress the fault. How common is this problem and is there any other way to complete the test?

At the moment my ISP has a monitor running on the line but I have this feeling BT will still come back and still ask for these tap1 & tap2 tests to be carried out.

Fell a catch 22 situation can't carry out test but BT want test result before getting involved.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for quick answer. Yes I have changed 'isp to zen and also zen.co.uk all get the server not found error!

Run it in IE and see what happens.

PS just ran it on FF and my security warnings came up. Showing as untrustworthy.

so never opened it up.

Sponsored Links
This is my problem it instructs you to set the user name to bt_test_user@isp however everytime I do this I get a 'Firefox cannot find server' error.

Look in your modem/router's status page and see whether it's actually making a connection with the supplied user name (not just that you have ADSL synchronization but that you have established a PPPoA connection as well).

If you don't have the connection, then check that you really should be using [email protected] and not some variation of the ISP's name. For example, PlusNet login user names are typically [email protected], so you would want [email protected] rather than just [email protected].

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back