Optima2 Plus burglar alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had this alarm fitted about 20 years ago. Is stopped working about 15 years ago and has had the front panel off for about the same time, and has not been used. No lights on the panel or keypad. The panic button, in the hallway has been pushed down since I last can't remember. Like I said it hasn't been used in about 15 years.
Today, for no apparent reason, while in the house the internal siren went off
:eek: . After trying to put back the cover of the main alarm box and typing in the code to disarm it there were no beeps when pressing the buttons. There was no recognition that the buttons were registering.
Now that it has 'come back to life'
is it worth trying to repair it,?
Should the buttons on the panel beep when pressed?
Is there a direct modern replacement for the alarm panel as all the PIR's are already in place?
Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Any works being done?
Was power applied?
If not the battery has gone big time and spiked the panel.

I would change it, maybe a Accenta G3/4 or a Veritas . Also change the external sounder. The pirs would need a change too really. You can buy a kit and just swap over.

Like this http://www.allaboutelectrics.co.uk/ade-accenta-pet-tolerant-burglar-alarm-kit.html There others about but I would stick to this or a Veritas kit http://www.e-fireandsecurity.co.uk/...um=comparison_shopping_feeds&utm_nooverride=1

The Veritas has a new PA butt too.

4 zone or 8 zone ? would get rid, any modern day hardwired panel will replace it depends on buget veritas r8/ accenta/optima g4 would be the direct replacement. texecom premier/ galaxy at the upper end.

Thanks for the replies. No works being done and I don't think there has been any power to the unit as there have never been any lights on the panel or the entry keypad. We thought the battery was dead and the unit ha=d switched off, but the battery did back up the alarm.
I think it is a 4 zone.
Thanks for the suggestions. Will do a net search to see what suit the buget.
Any particular PIR?
This alarm was at my dads house. I am refurbishing my flat and is it worth fitting a hard wired alarm on will a wireless do. It is a ground floor flat with side entrance and back garden about 4 doors down from a side road.
Wold the alarms previously suggested be suitable for a 2 bed flat.

Sponsored Links
I replaced a faulty Optima box to a Veritas 8 about 8 years ago. Was a doddle without any issues. The Texecom instructions explain anything clearly.

If the cables are not labelled make sure you label them all before disconnecting them from the old box though!!

Thanks for all the expert advice and help. I am going for the Vision for my flat and looking into the Veritas for the swap.
Once again thanks for the help. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back