Reasonable quote for new alarm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just purchased my first property and am currently decorating so figured it was a good time to replace the old alarm system and components.

The current system is an Optima xm6 with Builtin keypad, a pir in kitchen and lounge and contacts on front door and two windows upstairs. There is a live bell on front and dummy on the back. I'd planned to rip all this out and start agan.

The house is a standard 3 bed semi with French windows on the lounge at the rear as well as an inbuilt garage.

I've had a quote for the following:

1x Castle-Caretech euro 46 panel with eur-064 keypad
1x Scantronic 8400 digital communicator
3x Rokonet iWise Quad Pir (lounge, kitchen, landing)
1x door contact on front door
1x heavy duty contact roller garage door contact
1x novaguard 3 live bell box on fron with dummy on rear

The system has been specced to be monitored by an ARC with police response.

Install cost is £620+Vat and monitored and maintenance for the year is £147.

The company is quite large in the area and is NACOSS gold registered.

This does seem like a lot of money to me so I was wondering what other people thought?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Those figures must be wrong..

The £147 only covers your two required service visits for a system requiring a URN and possible Police response.

There will be another £360 a year for your monitoring fee which usually is around £30 a month or more.

The install charge at £620+vat looks about right as its usually parts plus £300 to install.

The total cost I suspect will be nearer . .

£620+vat for supply and install
£500 per annum service and monitoring.

Those figures must be wrong..

The £147 only covers your two required service visits for a system requiring a URN and possible Police response.

There will be another £360 a year for your monitoring fee which usually is around £30 a month or more.

The install charge at £620+vat looks about right as its usually parts plus £300 to install.

The total cost I suspect will be nearer . .

£620+vat for supply and install
£500 per annum service and monitoring.

The exact figures are £73.80 maintenance and £73.80 monitoring ex vat.

I'm aware there will be the one off £50 urn fee.

This does seem a lot cheaper than someone like adt (not that I would go there anyway)

I am surprised that the monitoring is only £73.80 plus vat one might have to question how effective the ARC is and who it is run by.
Also to keep your system elligible for your URN and possible Police response you need TWO service visits a year . . so £37 plus vat for a service looks too cheap to me..

Sponsored Links
I am surprised that the monitoring is only £73.80 plus vat one might have to question how effective the ARC is and who it is run by.
Also to keep your system elligible for your URN and possible Police response you need TWO service visits a year . . so £37 plus vat for a service looks too cheap to me..

The ARC is Southern Monitoring Services, I've got no idea if they're any good or not.

The maintenance does seem cheap, the guy was saying that it was slightly cheaper until recently, but it does include two service visits.

I know they're a good company as I've had dealings with them before through my work, the only thing holding me back is the initial install cost.

Nothing wrong with Southern.

Like any service provider you'll hear good and bad.

Ball park, the pricing is about right. Remember, they might have skewed the figures a tad within the total price but the total you pay is the one your concerned with. Obviously geographical area will also have a bearing on price, London being more expensive than oop North.

No harm in getting further quotes to give you some comparison.

I was wondering how the digi would work with my phone line. The quote said that every 24 hours it calls the ARC so this would appear on my phone bill.

Does anyone know what king of number it dials (0800, 0900 etc)? I don't really want to be charged for loads of phone calls!

I was wondering how the digi would work with my phone line. The quote said that every 24 hours it calls the ARC so this would appear on my phone bill.

Does anyone know what king of number it dials (0800, 0900 etc)? I don't really want to be charged for loads of phone calls!
Ask the installer, get it in writing. Point out your concerns.

SMS/NMS are one of the better ARC`s.
If thats the price then that is it. I cannot see how another can then tell you it will be another 500 or so if he does not work there and has not seen the quote.
It sounds about right for the area.
The 24 hr test call may well be a freephone number, ask first.
Remember its a big world out there and people are fighting for new customers.
Forget the scaremongers.

Doesn't this panel have its own built in communicator?

Doesn't this panel have its own built in communicator?
Not a panel i use, but seemingly so.

The alternative quotes can help identify anomalies such as this.

that wont be a free phone number to the arc ! its the old debate digi vs readcare/dual com, digi + call costs open and close or 24 test a day times 365 days at 14p a call or a one off cost all calls inc. swings and roundabouts.

Doesnt come with built on comms, but has plug on digi card or plug in output loom.

So I suppose they'd weighted up price of S8400 vs price of digi modem card and one came out cheaper than the other?

Forget the monitoring, the police won't turn up.

Get a bells only system with a dialer to let you know of an activation.

£450 for the lot. No monitoring fees; and maintenance if you want it and not if you don't.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Having thought about it it does seem like a decent price (especially the monitoring and maintenance) so I probably will go with them. They're quite a big company in the area - been going over 20 years and have over 6000 customers.

I've looked on NSI for any other local installers but unfortunately there's not many others in the area. However, ill see if they could quote anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back