Reccomendations for replacement alarm components pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I have an old TS500 which gave up and am looking to replace the control panel , keypads and the old PIR's . All wiring is in place and would also prefer hardwired.

I am a competent DIY'er and can do most things, so really want to have a go myself.

I would like your reccomendations on the following components I have selected based on security, reliability and ease of fit.

Sponsored Links
Looks fair enough. The TS500 could be wired EOL so you would need to use the new resistors with the Excel. As a 4 core could have been used ( Is a rather old panel) But nothing to worry about.
Was the TS with the onboard or remote keypad, as you will need to run a new cable for the new one if it was onboard.
You seem to have missed out an internal sounder too. So another cable.

Any reason for the brackets for the pirs? Are you having this graded at a latter date.

Thanks for your reply Workers.

The TS500 was an onboard keypad but was located in the cupboard under the stairs , so will be placing keypad in a more accessible area.

Any reccomendations for an internal sounder?

With regards to the resistors for PIR's the wires are currently 4 core, where are the resisitors wired and are they included with PIRs?

Regarding the brackets, I assumed I would need them to hang the PIR's and adjust them .

This is decent for its size price and features http://www.traderswarehouse.co.uk/twin-alert-combined-internal-siren-speaker
The system is 4 core, thought so. The resistors are EndOfLine EOL and so inside the detectors. Your new ones will be in the panel in a packet IIRC. The resistors are for giving you an alarm and tamper on the same pair. The door contact just tell the panel it is a N/C zone (You can mix and match).

The pirs can be mounted direct, but if you have awkward or fiddly corners they do help, also hide the cables rather well.

Ang get a double push panic button, less chance of going off accidentally.

Sponsored Links
Workers, thanks for your advice regarding the components.
I have everything wired up and found some previous dodgy cabling ewith connector blocks in the ceiling, which has now been replaced.

The system was actually 6 core and has tamper on everything but the PA and smokes.

I have it all set up, but I beleive the smokes are not wired correctly from inception. I could be wrong and have been quite a few times :)

Below is a diagram I knocked up to show how the 2 smokes which are interlinkable from the documentation. They are system sensor 1412 smokes.
http://www.systemsensor.com/pdf/I56-0280.pdf

When I conducted a walktest and latch test, these wold not activate and I do have the zone set up for fire. I tried activating using the test button.

Could you cast your eye on the diagram? This is the current arrangement not wired by me.

[/url]

Have you got a meter? You'll need to see if each of the detectors has power, then check the alarm loop at the control panel end, then at each detector.

The diagram seems ok. Can't think of the top of my head, but does the excel have wire links in the zones? If so, have you removed them? Programmed the zone as a Fire zone?

On a side note, please make sure that the alarm is audible throughout the building, especially when all the doors are shut and people are sleeping. Add an extra sounder if required.

Thanks for your reply Josh.

I have checked all circuits with a meter and they are all well. I have removed all links from the panel and have the Zone assigned as fire.

I forgot to add, the property has additional 3 hardwired mains interlinked smokes which are VERY audible. These smokes are for when we are not around for the alarm to notify us via a speech dialer to be added at a later date.

Wiring looks good.
Check power ( 12vdc to 14vdc is needed).
Also the NC/C contacts are closed.
Generally a smoke has closed contacts unless activated. Even with no power.

Thanks for your reply workers.

I checked the N/C contacts and indeed they were closed.

I pressed the test button and held it for about 10 secs and eureka, the fire zone triggered. So it works!

Now I cannot reset the smokes as in the documentation it states that they need to be reset by the panel page 3 under testing. There was a flashing red light prior to testing now it is solid red .
http://www.systemsensor.com/pdf/I56-0280.pdf

How can I do this on the veritas panel as when I try and set it, fire zone (4) is lit up and am unable to reset the smokes.

Thanks in advance

see page 25 of manual sw+ options you need option 3 to reset your smoke detectors you may have to use it via a relay as it may only be rated at 100ma or a push to break switch to reset your smoke alarms. ps how old are these smoke detectors ?

Thanks Sparkymarka,

I saw one of those push to breaks mounted on the old panel. Will try via SW+ options first.

only asking about smoke detector as they have a normal 10 year life make sure you test with smoke as ive just replaced some brk (system sensor) smoke detectors that worked fine with the test but failed to operate with canned smoke..

Agreed.
10 yr life with monthly testing. For heat and smokes.
CO is 5 yr life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back