Removing old ADT alarm system.... help please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Ive got an old ADT alarm system in my flat, the contract expired a long time ago before we moved in, I do not want an alarm system at the moment. There are lots of old wires and sensors that I want to remove.

Can anyone recommend a good method of removing the system. Will the alarm go off if I cut the wires going into the mains box?

Photographs attached to my profile.

Any help, much appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
To remove the alarm you need to remove the mains power, remove the alarm casing, and disconnect the big battery terminals.  This should completely power-down the system and you could then do whatever you wish with it regarding disconnection/removal.  Beware that doing any of the above should activate a tamper alarm which will sound until you have removed both sources of power, or until you enter a code with the appropriate access level.

However they're not as complicated as they are made out (in my opinion) for a competent DIYer. Why not replace only the brain - they're not very expensive. Most of the wiring is numbered the same from your existing box as to a new replacement. I used one from the same manufacturer to make it easy for me tho.

There's a possibility the alarm wont go off anyway as ADT fit decoy boxes a lot of the time.
The sounder in the endstation may sound though.
Be careful doing as advised above unless you REMOVE the fuse from the spur before opening the box or you could touch live 240volt wires

Thank you for both your replies. Very helpful.

Just to confirm.

1. Turn off mains.
2. Remove casing
3. Disconnect Battery
4. Disconnect the mains power to the alarm box. ((what it the best way to make safe the (turned off) live wires?))

4. Remove the sensors and wiring around the house.

Sponsored Links
((what it the best way to make safe the (turned off) live wires?))

Safest way to make safe is to turn off the main switch at your fuseboard. The one which kills everything in the house. Ensure the alarm isn't getting a live feed from elsewhere. Remove the faceplate from the fused spur and disconnect and remove the cable from there to the alarm. Your live feed will now end at your fused spur box. Obviously make sure the cables inside the fused spur are isolated from each other.

Remember if you're unsure of electrics get a pro in. They can kill vy easily.

Thank you Alan, that's great. I will have a look tonight. If it looks too tricky I will get a pro in!

George

If you have a fused spur leading to the endstation you should be able to just remove the fuse which will be in a holder that will pull out (It may have a small screw holding it in place).. This will isolate the endstation without needing to turn off the electricity and is safe. No need to take the faceplate off.

If you have a fused spur leading to the endstation you should be able to just remove the fuse which will be in a holder that will pull out (It may have a small screw holding it in place).. This will isolate the endstation without needing to turn off the electricity and is safe. No need to take the faceplate off.

This will disconnect the phase, which is not acceptable for isolation. In the unfortunate event the phase and neutral have been reversed, the wire in the alarm panel would then still be tingly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back