repair/replace telephone end socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have a telephone extension wired to the living room, the end bit is a female connector and the wires have been snapped.

I want to just replace this bit because I dont want to relay the cable as it is currently fine.

Been looking online but cant seem to find just the connector, i have a spare 10m telephone extension, was thinking about cutting the female part off and openning it up.

The original one when I opened it up, didnt allow me to repatch it back in.

Any advice? I would like to not relay the cable, will be popping over to maplin tonight but thought if I can order something to night,I can avoid the trip.

Sponsored Links
If your cable is one of the flat cables sold as extension cords etc. then there's not much you can replace the original socket with. The IDC connectors in standard telephone sockets are designed for solid cable cores, not the stranded wires found in telephone extension cords or alarm cable. They sometimes do work........ for a little while....

The IDC connectors don't work if you use the wrong tool to insert the wire too. Trying to poke the wire in with a screwdriver deforms the contacts and wrecks the connector. Cheap 'n' cheerful plastic wire inserters are available. Some say they break too easily, but I've never had a problem with them.

its not the flat cables, they look like the alarm cables if that makes sense, its small and round, not flat like the normal ones but not ultra thin!

I just want to avoid rewiring the cable and its will be a pain to do.

So looking for just the female connector to the end so I can just repatch that bit :(

Sponsored Links
Could you settle for a (fixed) wall socket placed somewhere convenient ?
These are cheap and available anywhere.

No cos it would look ugly but since saying so, if I can't find what I want, I could buy a cheap socket and snap all the surrounding just to make the connection work. Then just tape it up and paint it white

No cos it would look ugly ........................................ I could buy a cheap socket and snap all the surrounding just to make the connection work. Then just tape it up and paint it white
Priceless
:rolleyes: :LOL: :rolleyes: :LOL: :rolleyes: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back