Replacing telephone wires and fitting master socket HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, I recently done a broadband speed test in my mothers house and to my shock the download speed was 0.7 (with Sky claiming up to 24, average of 7-8). Anyway, there seems to be a large excess of old wire (around 10-15m) just coiled up behind the cupboards so I've decided to replace it all, move the master socket into the living room and plug the phone & modem directly into it.

kcj6li.jpg

The above pic is where the outside wire (right) is attached to this box, is it worth replacing this box? What type of box is it? If I've done my research correctly I want to replace the wire on the left (CW1308?) and run it into the living room to a master socket (NTE5?) and then use a micro filter for both broadband/phone connections.

Also there are green and black wires coming from the right wire (see picture) and which go into another wire not even connected to anything, can I cut it off? Do I need to turn anything off to do this work?

Could anyone please shed some light on this? Should I keep the original box in the picture and just run the new wire to the new mastersocket or replace that box too? Do I use copy the two blue wires in the picture? How would I wire a NTE5? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Hey guys, I recently done a broadband speed test in my mothers house and to my shock the download speed was 0.7 (with Sky claiming up to 24, average of 7-8). Anyway, there seems to be a large excess of old wire (around 10-15m) just coiled up behind the cupboards so I've decided to replace it all, move the master socket into the living room and plug the phone & modem directly into it.

kcj6li.jpg

The above pic is where the outside wire (right) is attached to this box, is it worth replacing this box? What type of box is it? If I've done my research correctly I want to replace the wire on the left (CW1308?) and run it into the living room to a master socket (NTE5?) and then use a micro filter for both broadband/phone connections.

Also there are green and black wires coming from the right wire (see picture) and which go into another wire not even connected to anything, can I cut it off? Do I need to turn anything off to do this work?

Could anyone please shed some light on this? Should I keep the original box in the picture and just run the new wire to the new mastersocket or replace that box too? Do I use copy the two blue wires in the picture? How would I wire a NTE5? Thanks in advance!

The reason the bb signal has dropped could be anything...I am not sure if replacing the box and wiring would solve it.....but first of all the black/green wires coming in are dead and should be left like that and not cut away as they are a spare pair in the cable...and I would take out the connections and jelly crimp them inside the box (bt80) but is you want to rewire you can get all this stuff off ebay

I was planning on replacing the old box with a new box, then running the cable into the living room to another box. With the new box (NTE5) I would attach White to A, Orange to B then the Blue/White, White/Blue to 2 & 5 then run that wire (CW1308) through the kitchen, into the living room to another box.

Could you confirm this is correct and I have the correct equipment? Also what tools would I need? Krone tool and side cutters? Cheers

You really shouldn't be touching that junction box! That belongs to bt! If you end up getting a fault on the line you will end up being charged! Leave it alone! Contact sky and get them to sort out the speed issue.

Sponsored Links
Essentially you have the right idea.
However, that box is the incoming point and belongs to BT. Only BT should change the incoming A B connection. ( Theoretically, you should leave that box in place and use a new cable to extend the A B from the IDC connections on 2 & 5 to the A B incoming point on a new NTE5. Thereafter you can take your 2&5 connections from the new NT5 to master sockets wherever it is convenient.)
If you did discard the original box then the incoming connected to A B just connect to the new NT5 A B incoming point on the back half of the NT5 and your cable to the extension runs from the 2&5 on the front half of the new NT5. 3 (bell wire)&4 connections are not needed (unless you have a very old phone and can actually slow broadband by acting as aerials.
It would be worthwhile taking the opportunity of getting an adapted front faceplate NT5 as this has inbuilt filters and would enable you to use a pair on your extension cable to connect up A B terminals for direct broadband connection to your router. (the unused 3&4 are suitable.
NB I would check your broadband speed by connecting a socket box direct to the existing A B incomers to determine if your problem is external to your wiring. This may save you some time and fault tracing, as if it is slow, then BT should sort out their box before anything else is done and would probably fit a new NT5 equivalent
NB Those green and black wires are said to "go into another wire". Before isolating them confirm it really is not serving a second line anywhere.
NB Your new cables should be solid core not stranded if using IDC connections
NB You do not need to turn anything off; phone wiring is not connected to the mains, and has only 50v on it.

That is a BT80A RF Terminal block. The two black components are inductors designed to prevent high frequency signals reaching the telephones. They will seriously reduce ADSL ( broadband ) signals. Contact the cpompany you pay line rental to and ask them to replace it as it is reducing ADSL speeds. They should change it free of charge and fit an NTE 5 in its place. You can then fit a new face plate with filter that provides separate connections for the router / modem and phones.

The BT80A RF was fitted when the phone was affected by radio frequency signals from nearby radio transmitters which could be broadcasting masts. mobile communication system base stations or a taxi firm office with a transmitter on the roof.

Essentially you have the right idea.
However, that box is the incoming point and belongs to BT. Only BT should change the incoming A B connection..

Everything is BT's Before and after that box up to the master socket or nte

Absolutely. True enough but thats the trouble with DIY forums---you get DIYers giving advice that enables work to be done at negligible cost that could be undertaken at high cost by BT etc.
You pays your money and takes your choice (chance)

As Bernard says, cut out the box and join through the wires and your speed will go up by quite a margin. (broadband does not normally work at all with these fitted so your line must be rather strong)

This problem should be fixed free of charge, like most problems when any internal extension wiring has been removed from the master socket and the fault's still there. Anybody who touches bt's property deserves to be charged to put right the problem.

As Bernard says, cut out the box and join through the wires and your speed will go up by quite a margin. (broadband does not normally work at all with these fitted so your line must be rather strong)

I did NOT say cut the box out. I suggested contacting the line owner ( or the ISP ) and arranging to have the box removed by the phone company. If it was fitted because there is a problem from nearby radio transmitters then removing it could make the phone very noisy. There is a new version of the BT80A RF that does allow ADSL and reduces the interference from a nearby radio transmitter.

Remove that box and then report a noisy line fault and you will be at risk of a very large repair charge.

lol I meant if there's a problem re-fit the old box then call out the phone company... if not happy days!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back