Telephone cable moved directly in front of window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our next door attached house has recently changed hands and a new line has been installed. The original line was attached to a pole in the road, then to the corner of our property (along with our line). Next door's line was then run under our eaves to their entry point.
Unfortunately while we were not at home Open Reach installed a new line for next door and this was run directly in front of our bed-room window (ie..the quickest way to do it)
On contacting Open Reach we are now told that, to change the route (back to where it was !) a charge of £195 would be required.
This property is in a National Park and we are apalled at what can happen. Any advice please.

Sponsored Links
Hard to say for sure but I would imagine it was done that way as they would require your permission to run across your property to serve your neighbour.

I agree, if it was an original line installation, but this was a replacement and re-routing of an existing cable that had been there for nearly 20 years.

Sponsored Links
disgusting and it shouldn't cost you a penny to get resolved if the route suggested does not get you the require result.

You can try [email protected] CE at BT Group.

If you cant use your window is it an escape route from your property during a fire?

I tend to find that the official complaints channel is slow and escalating to CEO/ MD of the company can speed things up dramatically.

I'd still like to see a pic or 2 before making rash accusations about incompetence on the part of the installer. Does the dropwire actually foul the opening window or is it just that you can see it?

Its up to you how far you want to push it.

but they cant impede your use or view

Lets face it should just be a replacement cable, so you should have noticed no change.

It's preferable to have the dropwire going straight to each customer rather than pinned across other properties, but photos would be helpful.

The flying wires act says it must be 2 metres from your window as a minimum, and 3 metres above your garden. Doesn't say anything about a view unfortunately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back