Thinking of putting in a 2nd master socket on BT line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise please.
Basically, the phone line comes into the house to a junction box which then connects to a master socket on the right hand side of the living room.

I'd prefer a socket on the left hand side of the living room, but it seems a bit daft to extend from the main socket when it would be crossing the path of the junction box once more.

I was wondering if I could just stick a few more wires into the junction box and lead off to another second master socket.
I know next to nothing about telephone cable wiring, so was surprised to see six wires leading to the master socket when the cable I purchased only had four wires in. I've heard BT will charge an arm and a like for this, and others are suggesting it's illegal to even open up the junction box. I've attached some pictures for clarity.

http://i.imgur.com/GEWhuKy.png
http://i.imgur.com/GbxFTDQ.jpg

Thanks for any help. [/list]

Sponsored Links
Hint - MASTER, Slave, Slave, Slave, Slave

Not (& never) MASTER, Slave, Slave, MASTER, Slave, or any other combination

One MASTER, the rest are SLAVES

Why on earth would you want two Masters?

You will probably find the cable connecting the junction box to the master socket has at least two spare cores, maybe orange and orange/white. Find these at the Master socket, connect them to 2 & 5 on the front plate. At the junction, extend these two cables to a SLAVE box, connecting to terminals 2 & 5. (Normally 2 & 5 are cabled with blue/blue and white, but in your particular case, stick with orange/orange and white for consistency)

HTH

Because I want to go from A to C without going through B. Seeing as I'm not allowed to get rid of B.
There would be no slaves. Only masters. Like some sort of wiring utopia.

Sponsored Links
The reason for Master / Slave is for BT (or whoever) to test to a known variables if there is a problem with your 'home wiring' at any time.

A second master will through a spanner in the works.

why don't you just, um, move the master socket or NTE5 to where the junction box is. Then you can connect all your extensions downstream of it.

I was told everything up to the master was property of BT and woe betide anyone who touches it. For what it's worth, I wouldn't be using the original master only the second master.

Apart from the technical implications thought needs to be given to the future in case of a fault etc.

Remember it is against BT/Openreach rules to tamper with the phone line prior to the master socket. Most of their engineers would turn a blind eye to changes and modifications provided they have been carried out to their normal standards.

What you are proposing does not meet their normal practice so if an engineer visited your property you could well face hefty charges to correct the situation and also, maybe, suspension of the telephone service.

you're practically guaranteeing a charge next time bt come into your property, as they aren't allowed to leave a job working like that.

You're not only fitting 2 masters, you're star wiring.

They'll fit a master socket at A, change B and C to slave sockets, and bill you for that, even if the main fault's outside.

Hi,
I am a telephone engineer. Don't get too excited about BT rules and regs. But, the big problem is that if you have a fault and call out BT, they will charge you £130 for the first 15 mins, and £90 per hour after. So, do the job properly. you can not tee in from a junction box, bt are responsible for wiring up to and including , the first socket, and all other sockets must feed from that master. so, you would need to diss off the first master and move it to where you want it. simple if you have no extensions feeding from the master ( or anywhere else). if you have a sky box it may be connected from the master, although usually sky blokes use a plug in connector. So, if you do the job neatly and it all works, BT will never know and you will save yourself a bucket of money.
Alf.

Can anyone advise please.
Basically, the phone line comes into the house to a junction box which then connects to a master socket on the right hand side of the living room.

I'd prefer a socket on the left hand side of the living room, but it seems a bit daft to extend from the main socket when it would be crossing the path of the junction box once more.

I was wondering if I could just stick a few more wires into the junction box and lead off to another second master socket.
I know next to nothing about telephone cable wiring, so was surprised to see six wires leading to the master socket when the cable I purchased only had four wires in. I've heard BT will charge an arm and a like for this, and others are suggesting it's illegal to even open up the junction box. I've attached some pictures for clarity.

http://i.imgur.com/GEWhuKy.png
http://i.imgur.com/GbxFTDQ.jpg

Thanks for any help. [/list]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back