Uninstall a Paragon E System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have just moved into this house with a PARAGON E System. No one knows the alarm code as previous owner has been deceased for years. Also we are not sure if it is even working as there are some wires and some appear to have been cut when carpets were refitted by sellers. We have now bought a wireless alarm to install as it has the dial-up feature to our phones. However, we would like to uninstall the system first. How can I do that so it doesnt activate or shock me when taking it apart.

Here parts to it:
1) A control panel box: only the supply and day lights are on.
2) Kinetic SB1 KSB1A: internal sounder located just below control panel box.
3) 3 wired PIR sensors.
4) 2 boxes fitted to external walls (1 front and 1 back wall) (front one has an LED under it that lights at night).
5) Not sure where it gets its electricity from. Elec mains dont have any small wires running into it, just the usual big grey cables.

Thank you for any help!

Sponsored Links
It depends how much of it you want to uninstall... The first thing to do is to get it all powered down and then you can do what you like to the boxes and cables.

If you don't have the codes, you can't stop it going off. So be prepared for noises. You could start with the internal sounder/speaker. Undo the screw and lift the lid off. If there's a tamper switch fitted, the speaker may start to scream at you. Cut or disconnect ONE of the two wires inside and this will isolate the noisy bit in the house.

You now have to power down the bell and the panel (control box). If you do the panel first, the bell should sound until it's internal battery runs flat or for 15/20 minutes (depending on the age of the bell). If you do the bell first, it WILL go off, very loudly, whilst you're on the ladder. Ear protection is a good idea and make sure that you hang on to the ladder!! (see this posting: //www.diynot.com/forums/alarms-cctv-telephones/menvier-ts400-ts410.323493/page-4 )

For the panel, you should be able to find a FCU (fused spur) nearby. This looks like a light switch with no switch (!?!), just a fuse in a holder. Prise this out or undo the screw (for the MK type) and remove the fuse. This will deprive your panel of mains electricity. Now open the panel and disconnect the battery terminals. It is now safely powered down but make sure that you don't short the battery terminals together.

For the bell, put your ladder up next to the bell and, in your tool belt, take a #2 philips screwdriver, a big (6mm) and electrical (2.5mm) screwdriver and some wire cutters. Undo the screws on the cover of the bell at the front of your house - the one with the light. (The other is a dummy.) Remember to stay on your ladder as it goes off... and remove the lid. Inside, it will be full of cobwebs and spiders. You may also find lacewings and several species of ladybird... Sorry, I digress! Inside will be a circuit board and battery. The battery may be connected by wires or fitted on the board. If it has wires, cut ONE of them first and then the other (at a different place) making sure that you don't short them together. If the battery is on-board, they'll be some kind of "Battery Link" - cut or disconnect this.

Everything will now be off and you do what you like with it. Personally, I prefer wired systems to wireless and would keep the existing cables and replace the panel/bell/detectors as necessary.

Do it soon, before it rains!!

Hi EightyTwo,

Thanks a million for your quick response. I understand what to do now so I will give it a try midnight over the Jubilee bank holiday weekend when everyone is drunk and asleep. Great way to meet the new neighbors all at once :LOL:

As for my options I prefer to deal with control panel first and let the outside bell ring till it goes flat. Dont like the idea of being on the ladder with the bell going off especially as I am doing this the 1st time.

Can I use plyers with a plastic handle to cut wires or should I buy a wire cutter to make sure I dont shock myself?

PS: Spiders I am fine, ladybirds scare me.....

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Oh I forgot to say that I cant see any FCU around. The wires from the control panel (located in hallway) run into the ceiling enclosed in a plastic box to hide away wires into wall (which I will also have to rip out once no elec running). I have looked in every possible room in the house that it might lead to but there is no FCU around.

There is a fuse switch in the lounge (with a switch) but I think this is for the light sensor to front of house as there is an identical one for that to back of house.

Any tips / ideas there?

Thanks!

No FCU..? Ugh!

There'll be loads of thin cables, white or brown, that look like telephone wires, going into the panel. These are all the low voltage ones. Then there'll be a bigger cable which will be the mains supply. This could be flex or twin & earth (oval grey/white and stiff). You'll have to trace this one away from the panel and find out where it goes...

It SHOULD go to an FCU... It could go to the back of a socket somewhere :( , into a junction box (round bakelite) on a socket ringmain or the lighting radial :eek: or the FCU for the immersion heater (if the panel is in the airing cupboard).

Once you have found where it goes, you should remove mains power to this circuit and disconnect the cable at this end, to make it safe, before you disconnect the panel end. If you're not confident/competant to do this, get an electrician to help you.

You're probably right about the switched FCU in the lounge - it's likely to be the security light.

You can cut the wires in the bell with nail scissors if you like! The wires are thin and only 12V so you won't get shocked. Cutters are quicker than trying to unscrew the terminals. Pliers will be tricky 'cos the cutting part isn't at the end and you might want to cut close to the board.

Sparkymarka - thanks for that, will try it if needed.

EightyTwo - As there is no visible FCU I think its best I get an electrician to uninstall it properly. I did go out earlier and bought wire clippers. It may come in useful later on :)

Thanks guys for your time and replies!
I do appreciate it.....

As for my options I prefer to deal with control panel first and let the outside bell ring till it goes flat. Dont like the idea of being on the ladder with the bell going off especially as I am doing this the 1st time.
Just the way to endear yourself to your neighbours.

Ok, sounders should go off/stop after 15/20 mins, many don't and go on for 1, 2, 3 or more hours.

Get yourself or borrow some ear defenders, or don't bother it's not that bad.

Do it the correct way, outside first.

Just to say I got it sorted by an electrician in the end. Turns out the control panel was wired to the hallway light socket in case that bit of info helps others. It looked easy when I saw the electrician do it, but that is once you know what you are doing. I didnt want to chance it. PS: New alarm system working a treat!!!

Thanks everyone who has helped out above!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back